Vinalhaven Island, Maine

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
#1 Off to Vinalhaven from KRKD (Penobscot Island Air).
#2 Leaving Rockland Harbor behind(shortly).
#3 Approach to Vinalhaven. Carver's Harbor is where all the boats are
seen in the image).
#4 Everything but the proverbial kitchen sink?

Photos of our plane returning to KRKD to follow.

We were on the island from 7/09 to 7/16

HR

Attachments

• Off to Vinalhaven.jpg
    Off to Vinalhaven.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 16
  • Leaving KRKD Rockland.jpg
    Leaving KRKD Rockland.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 13
  • Vinalhaven Approach.jpg
    Vinalhaven Approach.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Everything but the proverbial kitchen sink..jpg
    Everything but the proverbial kitchen sink..jpg
    837.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Penobscot Island Air(our pilot) returning from Vinalhaven to KRKD.
(3 images). This is not the PIA plane that went into the ocean off Matinicus Island a week later, after the engine failed following takeoff.

HR

Attachments

• PIA VH to KRKD.jpg
    PIA VH to KRKD.jpg
    492.1 KB · Views: 4
  • PIA VH to KRKD_2.jpg
    PIA VH to KRKD_2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 3
  • PIA VH to KRKD_3.jpg
    PIA VH to KRKD_3.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 3
Have a good week, decided not to drive up and take the ferry over? You could have left the car on the mainland and just take the bikes over.

My former wife and I flew with Penobscot Island Air, I having parked my vehicle at KRKD. The other two ladies went by ferry Governor Curtis, one of the women taking her car onto the island for our transportation while there(other than my little bicycle). Judy's old Volvo is her on and off the island-use vehicle, her daughter/son in-law/twin grandsons living on Vinalhaven. Jason is a lobsterman with whom Val and I went lobstering with him; actually a short "work day" for Jason, for our benefit. I have some interesting "flying" lobster photos.

We had good weather except for one foggy day, but that allowed for some very nice fog-bound scenic photography. An interesting week, for sure.
In the Carver's Market parking lot two female strangers walked toward me. The 20+-ish lady said, "Aren't you the camera man?" Of course, there I was, carrying the Sony full-frame DSLR with the large Zeiss lens, so it was an applicable inquiry. Before I could respond she continued, "I graduated from Bowdoin College in 2003, so I well-remember your camera store." Small world! It seems her family has had a summer home on Vinalhaven for over 50 years(via two generations). While there I took over 750 pictures, so there'll be a lot of time necessary to "correct" them; and the downloading of files as large as 26 MB was a slow process.

HR

Back