View Count

Steve said:
I'm taking a leap of fate and trying a new forum to post a new thread regarding the operation of this message board. And I have a simple question regarding view counts displayed. At least I think it is a simple question, since that's the only kind I tend to ask, anyway.
:confused: This is simple? :confused:
;)

Does the view count displayed on the forum lists reflect the total number of previous viewings of a particular thread, or the cumulative viewing of the individual posts and replies in a particular thread. In other words if a thread had 1 starting post and 3 replies and I look at all of them at one time does the view for the thread count go up by 1 or by 4?
View count is for a thread, not for posts within the thread, so the answer is that it will go up by 1 each time you open the thread.

"I opened the thread, but I did not look at any messages. I kept my eyes closed the whole time. I am not responsible for the view count increase!!!"

Addendum: In looking more closely, the view count of a thread is updated once an hour.

I don't know why they chose to update statistics in that manner...

Steve said:
I have a follow-up question. If a thread has more than one page of posts (dependent on an individuals "post per page" setting) will each page view count as a "view" in the thread view count?
Views is each time the thread is accessed, regardless of page count. Look at page 1, view = 1. Look at page 2, view = 2. Look at page 1 using the provided links (NOT the back button), view = 3.

Steve said:
And an observation (maybe I should put this in "Site Feeback, instead"), when I sort a Forum thread list by "Views" in most Forums it seems to work as expected, but in "Forum Support" the function seems to be a little confused by the first 3 or 4 threads. Maybe it's using Reverse Polish Notation to figure out what order to put them in.

S
"Sticky" threads always sit at the top, regardless of sort order. That's what you're seeing in the first three threads.

Steve said:
Now if I was the subverting type I could get me one of those little dipper birds that bob up and down all day and night without taking a break and set it up such that it hit the refresh button every time it bobbed down and run the view count up on a thread to astronomical proportions just to find out what the upper limit was. But far be it from me to actually suggest that anyone do such a thing.

S
I guess you could but....why? End result is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. We don't base anything on the view statistics and don't have any revenue model based on view counts. (Actually, we don't even have a revenue model. :D)

Back