Vietnam Relic Returns to the Skies

ausrere

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa
I grew up a "Bell baby". My dad retired from there. I miss the sound of Hueys coming over the house. Glad to see them restore them when they can:

Vietnam Relic Returns to the Skies
After 30 Years, an Emotional Reunion Between Man and Machine

great story...

I got to meet a lot of Vets today at the Millville Airshow (KMIV). I can't explain the look on the faces as they watched the B25's, P47's, P51's and a P40 fly at the show. I will say the moment they heard those big ole round power houses fire up they got mighty silent.....It was nice to have the chance to thank them for the freedoms we all enjoyed this holiday.

Friday morning, I was passing through a newfound shortcut in Alpharetta, Georgia. There was a Huey on static display up on a twenty-foot pedestal. It was positioned at a left bank and somewhat nose high; not unlike what you might expect as when it left on yet another of its many missions.

After reading that article, I can't help but wonder a few things about the Huey I saw. How many young men had it flown into battle? How many young men had it flown out unharmed? How many young men had it flown out having been injured? How many young men's remains were flown out to be returned to their families?

Lisa, Thank you.

Friday morning, I was passing through a newfound shortcut in Alpharetta, Georgia. There was a Huey on static display up on a twenty-foot pedestal. It was positioned at a left bank and somewhat nose high; not unlike what you might expect as when it left on yet another of its many missions.

After reading that article, I can't help but wonder a few things about the Huey I saw. How many young men had it flown into battle? How many young men had it flown out unharmed? How many young men had it flown out having been injured? How many young men's remains were flown out to be returned to their families?

Lisa, Thank you.

You're welcome.

My house used to be across from the main gate at the Bell plant in Fort Worth. I'd sit on my back porch and watch the helicopter operations just memorized. There is a Vietnam era Huey on a pedestal just inside the plant gate that's mounted in much the same way you describe. I used to wonder those same things about it. I used to wonder what stories it could tell if it were able too.

I have a original Bell made model, that my dad rescued from destruction during a house cleaning of old storage at the plant, that used to sit on the CEO's desk. The only thing wrong with it is it's missing the original rotor. It's old enough that it has the original HU-1B designation on the name plate (where it got it's "Huey" name) so I'd guess it dates to about 1961. It's one of my most prized possessions. I've often thought of getting someone to fabricate a rotor replacement for it. It just sits on the top with a pin.

I read the article this morning, not a bad way to start the day. I really enjoyed the picture, too.

If you haven't read the book "Chickenhawk" you really have to. One of my favorite reads.

I read the article this morning, not a bad way to start the day. I really enjoyed the picture, too.

If you haven't read the book "Chickenhawk" you really have to. One of my favorite reads.

Oooohh.. mine too. I've read it several times. Might be time to read it again. I love the description of the first time he has his hands on the controls of the helicopter. Having it happen in Mineral Wells Texas made it even better. :D

Back