Vietnam memories still with us

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Some of you may recall, I served two tours in RVN when a young man that thought he was bullet proof. Was shot at many times, only hit once!

I just wanted to post something here pointing out that we are still accounting for vets lost in previous wars. I was on a mission (my first combat mission) in December 1968 where a small team was inserted behind enemy lines on an intelligence gathering mission. I was to go on two patrols and only observe to gain experience before I could lead a mission. The first patrol I was on was ambushed and we escaped and evaded back to a landing zone where we were picked up and brought back to friendly forces.

On that mission, a young Staff Sergeant code named Bison (which is all I knew about him at the time, was lost--MIA). I've posted on the Virtual Wall to keep his memory alive--a memory of a man I only knew a short time by a code name. I just reveived the following post:

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]UPDATE[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]The Defense Department has announced that Master Sergeant Payne's remains were repatriated on 28 Oct 2004, with identification made on 05 Oct 2006.[/FONT]

This was the man. For many folks, what happened in December of 1968 still has an impact on their life. Many of us were able to put this behind us and carry on a normal civian life; many others still carry baggage from this conflict to this day.

I'd like to thank all the vets on here for their service and to thank all the families that supported those vets.

Thanks for putting up with me.

Best,

Dave

Dave,

Not sure what to say, except....

Thanks for your service, and the part you played in support of our nation. It must be an odd feeling to see things like this occur after all this time.

Best regards,

Bill

You don't have to say anything Bill, but thanks. Not looking for anything for me.

Guess I'm trying to keep the thought alive that a lot of time has passed, but this really still affects a lot of folks; many gave more than I ever did. Some are still giving. Kind of humbles me.

Best,

Dave

You know Dave, its guys like you and Bob Bruneau, and all the other vets on this board, true heroes, that a truly look up to in this life.

I read another of Plaster's books. Unbelievable what you guys did.

Anthony said:
You know Dave, its guys like you and Bob Bruneau, and all the other vets on this board, true heroes, that a truly look up to in this life.

I read another of Plaster's books. Unbelievable what you guys did.

Thanks Anthony. In my case, they never could have gotten me to do it if I had any idea what was really going on at the time :no:

Dave

AdamZ said:
good post Dave and good service thanks to all vets
Thanks Adam. I see your thanks as going primarily to those that did so much and sacrificed so much more than I.

I know this is kind of a downer for some; it's not meant to be. It's a tribute to our society that we can be thankful to these folks; yet, carry on in our normal fashion--which is all any vet ever wanted.

Best,

Dave

Thank you. If half of this country did 1/1000th of what you guys did we would be a lot better off.

I have the upmost respect for you guys. Your efforts are very appreciated.

"Repatriated" is so darn bureaucratic. That's a poignant story. It's sad for anyone to go so young, but to be in limbo for so long....

That was a sad era in our nation's history. I can't believe the reception you all received upon returning home.

For what it's worth, you have my gratitude.

Dave Siciliano said:
Many of us were able to put this behind us and carry on a normal civian life; many others still carry baggage from this conflict to this day.

Dave

I know exactly how you feel

Ditto everything Bill said. Dave, thank you for sharing. And thank you for your service to your country.

Thanks folks. I've been blessed with walking through two combat tours with minor wounds: physical and mental. Others weren't as lucky.

The young folks fighting today are the ones we should support. They will bear the consequenses of what we call war.

They have my upmost respect for doing what is required during another time when our nation seems to be questioning the need. At least this time, folks seem to respect the folks doing what they should do and they are focusing their disagreement at the poliltical leaders that put our troops in this situation.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
My heart goes out to you in your loss. Thanks to you for keeping his memory alive. It is through efforts like yours that our Congress continues to work toward locating and returning the remains of our fighting men.

I have a question, though. In your post, you mention Bison was a Staff Sergeant when he went missing and the official word refers to him as a Master Sergeant. Do MIAs continue to receive promotions? This is not meant to be a criticism, just something I never thought about before.

- Aunt Peggy

AuntPeggy said:
My heart goes out to you in your loss. Thanks to you for keeping his memory alive. It is through efforts like yours that our Congress continues to work toward locating and returning the remains of our fighting men.

I have a question, though. In your post, you mention Bison was a Staff Sergeant when he went missing and the official word refers to him as a Master Sergeant. Do MIAs continue to receive promotions? This is not meant to be a criticism, just something I never thought about before.

- Aunt Peggy

Thanks for your kind words. I do feel these men should be remembered for their service.

I'm not up on all the policies, but the missing and POWs do seem to be promoted on some schedule. I'm not sure if it's just a time in service thing, promoted to reserve rank (which may be different than permanent rank) or what. But, there were a lot of pilots that were POWs that were also promoted while being held. Those killed in action seem to be kept at the rank they were when killed, except there were some folks in that case I also saw raised one rank--that may have been pending at the time they died. Maybe someone else can chime in and shed more light on this.

Best,

Dave

Back