Video: The last mainline Midwest Airlines flight

I agree that there is, in theory, a minimum set of standards that people are supposed to meet. Fortunately, when they're not right, they're close enough that it doesn't seem to cause significant problems most of the time. I would say, though, that not every carrier is as safe as any other carrier. Now, how to tell which ones are safer? That part I have no idea on.

FWIW, I don't choose carrier based on perceived safety, other than sticking to carriers of major countries. I tend to figure if it's a major American or European airline, it's probably fine. My mom and I have turned down cheaper flights on certain airlines of particular foreign countries, though.

True story.

Someone I know was flying between two SE Asian countries a number of years ago. As they were pulling onto the runway, the FA hurried a number of the passengers sitting in the front of the plane to stand in the aisle near the back of the plane. They were allowed to sit down after the plane had done initial climb. My friend asked, and the FA told him "airplane balance".

yeow.

True story.

Someone I know was flying between two SE Asian countries a number of years ago. As they were pulling onto the runway, the FA hurried a number of the passengers sitting in the front of the plane to stand in the aisle near the back of the plane. They were allowed to sit down after the plane had done initial climb. My friend asked, and the FA told him "airplane balance".

yeow.

did they have to move the chicken cages to make room for them????:yikes:

I flew in South America (Guayaquil to Quito), Christmas Eve, 1977 - ticket bought on SAN, but plane was bust - so we flew on a plane they borrowed (really!) from SAETA, a Caravelle (ex Alitalia, everything in Italian).

Everything threadbare, but clean, very nice service (passed around a dish of home-made red-hot candy dusted with powdered sugar, very good, too).

At Quito, in baggage claim, burlap sack with a turkey in it, head (only) sticking out, alive.

Fun trip.

Back