Video - Sukhoi Su-30

gibbons said:
Is that Diana flying that Sukhoi?
:D I see that poor pilot is having a hard time trying to do hammerheads, too. That pink smoke is very attractive...I'd like to get some to match my pink yarn on the strut.

gibbons said:
Nice video, thanks for posting it. Now, I'm hoping to see you do all that fancy stuff in the Extra. :)

Diana said:
:D I see that poor pilot is having a hard time trying to do hammerheads, too.

Maybe if he cut the AOA down to something sensible like, say, 90° he could clean up the loops too. :goofy:

Nah, that aint Diana. Her vids alway have nice music and end in a grassy landing for which she then apologizes saying it looks rougher than actual.:)

Richard said:
Nah, that aint Diana. Her vids alway have nice music and end in a grassy landing for which she then apologizes saying it looks rougher than actual.:)

Richard, I could give you a big ole hug; you're sweet. :)

Here is the latest video that Chip graciously let me keep on his web site. It’s different than the rest. This one is about the journey in learning the hammerhead, a maneuver that isn’t hard for some to learn, but has been hard for me. Fortunately I have the support of generous and insightful friends like Chip and Ken who have patiently helped me along the way.

The first five “maneuvers” in the video are failed attempts at performing a hammerhead.

I hope you like this music too. Coldplay sums it up pretty well in the song in this video… “If you never try, then you’ll never know. How long do I have to climb up on the side of this mountain of mine?” It was worth the tears of frustration to finally be able to make it to the top of the mountain and see the view.

http://www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/dr_hammerhead_progression.wmv

Diana said:

Thanks for the big smile on my face. Half way thru, I was starting to think, "By George, I think she's got it!".

I noticed most of your attempts resulted in little loops at the top, what control inputs are you using to pivot?

My guy had me feed in opposite aileron with the rudder, and also feed in forward stick as you add rudder and pivot thru. He said your stick should be in the front opposite quadrant from the rudder near the completion of the maneuver. (ie, if pivoting to the left, feed in right aileron and put in forward stick, and by the time you have full left rudder in your stick should be in the front right corner, or thereabouts.)

Please post more video as you go...

Very nice videos both of you. Diana excuse the ignorance but what exactly is a hammer head. From your beautiful video I gather it is supposed to be going vertical and then dropping off at a 90degree angle to one side or the other. Is this correct?

fgcason said:
Dead link: :( :(
It comes up with this:
file:///C:%5CDOCUME~1%5CNNL%5CLOCALS~1%5CTemp%5CWMP68.htm
Frank,

You might try typing it in to your browser instead of clicking on the link. Type:

www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/dr_hammerhead_progression.wmv

Chip

gibbons said:
You might try typing it in to your browser instead of clicking on the link. Type:

www.tailwindfoundation.org/videos/dr_hammerhead_progression.wmv

Thanks. I tried that. Same results on 3 different browsers. It's jumping between the original error message, page not found and site not found. Maybe the site is getting hammered or maybe something on my ISP end. I'll try tonight and see what happens.

Edit: Weirder and weirder. It's downloading now. Yay! It must have been a computoot.

Last edited:
AdamZ said:
Diana excuse the ignorance but what exactly is a hammer head. From your beautiful video I gather it is supposed to be going vertical and then dropping off at a 90degree angle to one side or the other. Is this correct?
Adam, here are some links that might clear that up.

http://www.fightercombat.com/vid_hammerhead.htm

http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html#Hammerhead

http://www.fly-aerobatics.ca/education7.html#hammerhead

When the airplane is pointing straight up, it's supposed to be pivoted 180 degrees around its vertical axis. Unfortunately, that isn't readily apparent in most of my attempts. :D The timing of the pivot is problematic for some of us. If you wait too long you will go into a tail slide, and maybe a "whip stall". There are two of those on my video. If you rudder too early, you will fly it over and around the top instead of pivot. There are several of those in my video. It is possible to do a "hammerspin" if you mess up in the pivot and spin out of the top. I haven't done one of those.

fgcason said:
Edit: Weirder and weirder. It's downloading now. Yay! It must have been a computoot.
Glad you got it working Frank. Now I have to go look up that new word. :)

Diana said:
Now I have to go look up that new word. :)

It's what happens when an infinitely stupid computer is too stupid to follow a simple set of instructions and instead tries to do something completely different for no valid reason while pretending to try to do what you told it to do in the first place..which it isn't.
pillepalle-wacko.gif

As usual. Right click, save as... :yes:
Your neighbors have a really unique place with impromptu airshows at any random given moment. You must be the talk of the day when they have guests and you're up doing your thing.

Last edited:
Back