Video - Student Pilot Flight to Catalina Island

eetrojan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
eetrojan
Here’s a short video of my student pilot cross-country flight from John Wayne Airport to Catalina Island located about 20 miles off the coast of Southern California.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPZdN8ph1k

I know some don’t like it, so word of warning that this one is set to music. It’s fairly short though. My ATC recording didn't work out. However, I added some stills, and some subtitles, and I tried to sync it up a bit. The song is "Sunday," which was kindly authorized for use by Moby via mobygratis.com.

We don’t normally fly to Catalina at my flight school, presumably because it’s within 50nm of our home airport. I asked to make this flight to help fill in the four week gap between my graduation and the next available checkride.

As an added bonus, I got to experience a sunrise departure from John Wayne, along with all the hubbub of the early morning commercial flight operations.

Joe

Cool video. Did you have a buffalo burger?

They were back in the early 80's, sad to say that's the last time I had one there. Buddy of mine and I used to take his Piper Tri-Pacer from Meadowlark to Catalina regularly. My instructor and I haven't landed at Catalina (yet), but did fly around a few weeks ago practicing with the VOR

I'd love to hear the communications with atc to hear what that's like. Great vid

I'd love to hear the communications with atc to hear what that's like. Great vid

There is no ATC at Catalina. It's non towered.

Flight following over water is the same as over land, except they get a bit nervous if you get close to the ADIZ.

Nice video,never been to Catalina,yet. Reminded me of flying into Block Island RI.

Great Video. Thanks for the post. I am adding this airport to my Bucket list.

Nice video. Have only landed there in summer with winds favoring 22 each time (3 landings there on vacation to Disney). Flotation devices purchased on first trip - not a lot of need in my area (desert).

2 1/2 years living and working there I think I landed on 04 twice.w used to take off on it a lot in the morning since the 04 side would be in the clouds and the 22 end would be in the clear.

2 1/2 years living and working there I think I landed on 04 twice.w used to take off on it a lot in the morning since the 04 side would be in the clouds and the 22 end would be in the clear.

I didn't realize it was that unusual. Nice. I didn't know any better.

We had the remnants of Santa Ana winds conditions that day, 12/27. It was pretty, but the day before was stunningly clear with ALL of the smog still blown way out to sea.

I didn't realize it was that unusual. Nice. I didn't know any better.

We had the remnants of Santa Ana winds conditions that day, 12/27. It was pretty, but the day before was stunningly clear with ALL of the smog still blown way out to sea.

Yep, Santana's is the only time.

I've flown out of SNA a million times but I've never seen them line up the airliners on 19L. Guess I never left early enough!

Fun to watch all the familiar ops at high speed: taxi to midfield runup, taxi down charlie to lima (though it's almost always been kilo for me), cross 19L, take off on 19R, make that turn to 220 shortly after takeoff, etc. Very cool.

I've been to Catalina about 5 or 6 times and I've never landed 4 either, but that's just because the winds always favored 22.

Thanks for sharing!

Back