video: SID, LOC/DME BC-A, divert, VOR-A circle rwy 29 in a BATD

coma24

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
coma24
http://vimeo.com/112089893

(ignore the intro at the start referring to the "I-10 rating", that's a reference to an internal training program, just forward it to the 60 second mark)

Old school BATD's (used to be called PCATDs) are gathering dust at flight schools over the country. This is what a modern day BATD looks and feels like.

The touch screen takes a few minutes to get used to, but it's a pretty versatile system. The ATC is being provided by a real person in real time through an online service (in this case, PilotEdge, but you could do something similar with VATSIM).

Had never flown the Seneca before, but the nice thing about twins is that you can treat them as a single, until you lose an engine and they actually become a single. At that point, you better know how to fly a twin. :)

The GPS database didn't have the LOC/DME BC-A or the VOR-A, which was unfortunate. Video is hand flown (quite poorly, actually), using a mix of GPS and VOR navigation.

Hopefully it's a helpful demonstration of the fact that you don't need to fly "your" airplane in the sim for it to be useful for practicing IFR procedures.

First leg: SBA-SMX, route: FLOUT5.RZS, direct, for the LOC/DME BC-A
Second leg: SMX to SBP, route: MQO, direct for the VOR-A circle to rwy 29

There are some limitations in the visual system for circling, but we make do.

If you haven't tried out modern day sims for IFR proficiency, take another look, there's good stuff out there! I did a day of video shooting with one of these things, shooting a wide range of approaches, then jumped in the plane to head home. Had to shoot the LOC RWY 22 into KCDW to within 20ft of published minimums) it was OVC004, and I can honestly say, I felt like I'd just been doing the same thing in the sim earlier in the day. These things work really well if you're willing to take 'em seriously.

Back