video question

Iceman

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Chris
I be the first to venture into this new area. I was wondering what different equipment was out there to transfer movies to my laptop computer. I have the movies on a hi8 camcorder and would need to use composite/svideo as the input. Is there a device that you have experience with that transfers this signal to usb 2 or firewire to the computer.

Also what is some good easy to use video software? I'm not interested in another dreamweaver/photoshop/etc that has a large learning curve.

Thanks everyone

I've used Dazzle products in the past with reasonable success. They're not at the top of the "food chain" for this type of product but I've found they offer good quality with compatibility and speed. Your camcorder connects to the device via standard RCA/composite connections. The device captures the video and translates it to USB for your PC. Driver software is included.

If your camera is a newer model, you'll probably have a USB2 or Firewire connection on it for direct to PC hookups. If you're using WinXP, download MovieMaker from Microsoft. Again, not top of the line editing capability but plenty of features in there for someone who just wants to make a basic movie.

Thanks brian. My movie camera is really old (6 years I think) so it does not have a computer output on it. I will try to moviemaker download. Thanks for the response.

You may need a video card that supports video input with video capture software, in that case.

More than that, I can't really advise on.:(

Greebo said:
You may need a video card that supports video input with video capture software, in that case.

If this is a one time thing, you might be able to borrow someone's newer digital camcorder that has the ability to transfer video from an analog input to the firewire connection. This is of course assuming you have an IEEE 1394 connection on your laptop and enough performance to capture real time video on the computer. Some laptops have a composite or S-video input built in.

BTW USB1.0 isn't anywhere near fast enough to input full resolution video at the full frame rate of approximately 30/sec so most video to USB adapters will degrade the video quality significantly (but not much worse than converting to .wmv format at low resolution). USB2.0 is just fast enough to work at the full 30 FPS 640x480 needed for quality video.

You can also purchase a composite (S-Video is better yet) to Firewire converter for around $200 (there may be cheaper ones) or a composite to USB2.0 for less than $100.

Iceman said:
I be the first to venture into this new area. I was wondering what different equipment was out there to transfer movies to my laptop computer. I have the movies on a hi8 camcorder and would need to use composite/svideo as the input. Is there a device that you have experience with that transfers this signal to usb 2 or firewire to the computer.

Also what is some good easy to use video software? I'm not interested in another dreamweaver/photoshop/etc that has a large learning curve.

Thanks everyone
Chris, I am into this bigtime. The first thing to convert Analog to DV is a "digital converter". This is part of the Canon Z45-50----90 series of cameras. You can feed you analog through to the Z45 then acquire it in an editing program like Pinnacle 9. But you need a Firewire card. The Z45 -50---90 series can be had on ebay for as little as $200 as people are abandoning DV for HD digital....which is why I am now struggling with a Mac G5. Final Cut only runs on the high end G5.

...part-time videographer for a local ballet company.

Greebo said:

This puppy will get the job done for less than $170 at bestbuy.com.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6227861&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1069301366556

Bought one for my son and had no idea what kind of feature package I had unleashed. It records various video inputs (see specs on ati.com), has a tv tuner and remote (can watch and digitally record tv on the PC), writes everything to harddrive for later burn as DVD. Allows editing to remove commercials, the annoying FBI warning, etc. Will record VHS movies to DVD (you need the DVD burner). Etc. Etc.

Ed Guthrie said:
This puppy will get the job done for less than $170 at bestbuy.com.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6227861&type=product&productCategoryId=cat01151&id=1069301366556

Bought one for my son and had no idea what kind of feature package I had unleashed. It records various video inputs (see specs on ati.com), has a tv tuner and remote (can watch and digitally record tv on the PC), writes everything to harddrive for later burn as DVD. Allows editing to remove commercials, the annoying FBI warning, etc. Will record VHS movies to DVD (you need the DVD burner). Etc. Etc.

I actually already have an all in wonder card by ati...it is 3 years old but same idea. I need something that works with a laptop though. Thanks again.

Thanks guys on all the help. I decided to go with the moviebox 9 setup. It comes with good software and looks like it is going to work for what I use it for. It's also normally well priced at $200 but tigerdirect has a few on sale (referb) for $50 which is less than the cost of the software.

Here is a link on the system if anyone is interested.

Back