(Video/Pics) Landing, Taxi, Lift Off at JFK Airport

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
Last weekend, I dropped off a passenger at the General Aviation terminal at JFK airport. The approach, taxi and departure were a long time goal and the experience was very cool, and not too hard.

Landing at the field was straight forward, and I approached from the North East (KWST). The traffic controllers put us in a few holding patterns until they could squeeze us in. There was no special instructions for reservation slots on arrival (KLGA needs prior notice and slotted departure and arrivals, landed there last Oct '13). I Shot the ILS 3x whites over red to avoid wake turbulence and pretty much came in short final, over the numbers 22L and landed long.

Taxi was VERY eventful. Holding between 22L and 22R was a constant flow of departures and a lot of really busy controllers. Taxi instructions were straight ahead to the GA terminal and I got a lot of commercial passengers waiving from their Triple 7s.

FBO was Sheltair and cost only $95 total since off-peak hours (3-10pm is peak and has another $80 charge on top, LGA was $260 last year). Our dogs and passenger and FBO cookies were all well received.

Departure was very easy. Clearance for departure, taxi and tower. Took a midfield departure on 31L which was almost 15,000' long!

Ill post video shortly. Was a very cool experience. Newark KEWR is next and then starting the round-the-world trip next summer.

More pics and video here
http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/2014/11/24/videopics-landing-at-jfk-airport
P

IMG_4888JFKLanding201416PhillipAngert.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-19%20at%2010.32.16%20AMJFKLanding201416PhillipAngert.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-19%20at%2010.33.19%20AMJFKLanding201416PhillipAngert.jpg

Nice love those big airports,however not sure I want to do JFK,have done boston Logab,Tampa int and a few smaller class Bs. Good luck on your round the world trip.

Very cool. Would scare the crap out of me. :yikes:

Congratulations, that's awesome!

The last time I dropped someone off at JFK was quite a few years ago. I remember the FBO was a small building and it was clear that the city/airport authority really didn't want you there.
I did stand out on the ramp and watch the Concord take off right in front of me on 31L, that was cool.

Yeah the taxi was really something else. Ill post video shortly

Everything really cool with the FBO there. Im going to fly in a lot more now

Nice job! If you're on the game with the radio, it's workable. I've flown in and out of there 3 times, have had some great experiences. First time there, tower thought I was in a helicopter. That was a mess.

Next time was VMC, no worries.

Last time there was 400 OVC and vis 1/2sm. Had an A380 behind me. Offered 180kts to a 5 mile final, ATC was grateful. After landing on 22L, it was a long taxi to Sheltair. There was an American 737 taxiing on the parallel (alongside 31L). I'm pretty sure we were both doing 40kts during the taxi, but it still felt like we weren't moving.

Getting out was a challenge, waited 7 minutes to hit the push to talk on clearance delivery frequency, it was non-stop with people blocking left, right and center. Took 12 minutes total to get the clearance. Just as I did, the swapped to using the 13's, so I called for taxi and ended up being first in line.

Hoping to fly in there next Monday to shoot the last flight for a new IFR training product :)

Sorry but i don't think that it is good idea to go there, thousands of passengers there and I wouldn't like to hinder work to guys on big iron birds .

Sorry but i don't think that it is good idea to go there, thousands of passengers there and I wouldn't like to hinder work to guys on big iron birds .

There's a slot system in play for times where they really don't want you there. Otherwise, knock yourself out.

Keith - did you get a slot to land there?

I did the same thing on a Sunday morning about 4 years ago in a 182 rented from Panaroma at HPN. Went with an instructor who had done it a few times before. Approach routed us east over Farmingdale and Islip and then sequenced us in after some big Iron. We landed on 22r and after dropping off the pax we took off on 13r. It was a blast and we got a couple of "hey boys" from the heavies while waiting for our departure. Only prob was I landed a little hot and didn't exactly grease it in...:) video is great till touchdown...

Back