[Video] Operation Eagle Claw and Credible Sport

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Review and discussion of the Iranian Hostage rescue plans from the end of the 70’s. Included is how they tried to get a C130 Hercules to land inside a soccer stadium with rocket engines.

Credible Sport...

A fascinating story. I know/knew several people who worked on that project, including my Grandfather. He apparently worked on the restraint systems for the passengers. That project was on such a tight timeline, they didn't even have time to issue security clearances to the people involved who didn't already have them. "Can we bring Bob into the project?"... Sure, he doesn't have a clearance, but we need him and he's trustworthy.

Of course, that led to some security issues, like me (as a 14 year old) being asked about it by one of my friends at school. I was unaware, but my friend's dad was a shrink, and he had a client who was extremely strung out over the project.

One of the airframes used to be at the Air Force Museum in Warner Robbins. I knew exactly what it was when I first saw it, even though the sign beside the airplane didn't have a word about all of the unique modifications on the airframe. That airframe eventually was transferred to a museum in the NE.

Thanks for pointing out the name error. I fixed the thread title.

Yep, and 160th was born out of that fiasco.

Thanks for pointing out the name error. I fixed the thread title.

Thanks for posting the video. I hadn't seen that one. When I saw the interior shots, I was hoping to see a picture of my Grandfather, but no joy.

So that's where Elon Musk got the idea for vertical rocket landings :)

Probably also led to the development of the V-22 Osprey. For all it's flaws, the Osprey would have been the perfect aircraft for the mission. VTOL like a helo but with the range and speed of a fixed wing.

Back