Video of "engine out" practicing by student pilot.

Silent Reader

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Silent Reader
18 landings with engine at idle from final, base and downwind:
For better view set video quality to 1080P.
Critics & comments are welcome.
Thanks for watching!

Last edited:
So, like, power off 180’s? I don’t feel like watching the vid to find out.

Spoiler alert - it is a gyroplane. Watched about 13 seconds and closed. Sorry, @eman1200, I know I ruined the ending for you.

I hope you guys will find some really good use for the 13 seconds of your time saved here, unlike the 13 seconds you wasted responding to my post.:)

Last edited:
In my Citabria, I do every landing power off from abeam the numbers. Not that big a deal, and always interesting playing with the energy management aspect.

In my Citabria, I do every landing power off from abeam the numbers. Not that big a deal, and always interesting playing with the energy management aspect.

Yeah, not a big deal for CFI, I know. :)

Here is one more "engine out" student pilot training session

The gear-eye-view is an interesting angle, but frankly an entire video of just that view is monotonous. I'd be much more interested in this if I could see what the pilot and aircraft were actually doing with this angle edited in. Just my $.02. I did like that you've somehow got the camera mounted so it's not rigid to the aircraft.

I did like that you've somehow got the camera mounted so it's not rigid to the aircraft.
The camera is mounted on the tailboom. It looks not rigid because of camera's image stabilization.
I'd be much more interested in this if I could see what the pilot and aircraft were actually doing with this angle edited in.
Like that? :)

No, the task was to land after "engine failure" happens on the pattern.
Neat video. I will confess I only stuck around for the first 6 or 7 landings.

Never flown a gyro before, but a 5,000 ft long runway doesn't seem like much of a challenge if the objective is to touch down anywhere along the runway. In fixed wing I usually select a spot along the runway, perhaps an area between the touchdown zone makers and 500 feet beyond that I expect the student to touchdown. I'll explain that there are "trees" on the numbers that the student has to clear.

Does the gyro have the ability do the equivalent of a fixed-wing slip to drop altitude without picking up airspeed? It's clear it's not like a helicopter where you can just drop the collective and autorotate down to the touchdown point.

Neat video.

Does the gyro have the ability do the equivalent of a fixed-wing slip to drop altitude without picking up airspeed? It's clear it's not like a helicopter where you can just drop the collective and autorotate down to the touchdown point.

Thanks, Brad.
Yes, the gyro can drop altitude without gaining airspeed, the maneuver is called "zero airspeed vertical descent", just pull the throttle to idle and the stick back to almost zero airspeed and the gyro will descend at about 1500-1800fpm without gaining airspeed. It take 250-350 feet of altitude to recover from vertical descent to straight & level flight by lowering the nose and adding some power to get 55-65MPH airspeed.
BTW, unlike a helicopter gyro is always in autorotation mode.

P.S. Check the video in post #17 starting time 2:54 - that's a zero airspeed vertical descent.

Last edited:
Back