Video of BBJ go-around on short final

Mike I

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mike I
Came across this on NYCAviation's Twitter feed and found it pretty neat. Nasty precip!

By the way, if you were to Google the thread title, you would get a very different set of videos.

6-7 seconds from when it says "minimums" to when they decide to go missed...

Is that normal? I dont fly jets.

Don't fly IFR yet but they were good at that point, 00:30, and continued. About 4 seconds later it was clear that it was not clear (LOL) and they went around. I did not see any delay beyond a couple seconds to process.

Them going around was different from them going missed. If you are on the approach, hit the mins and don't have the runway in sight...you go missed. They had the runway in sight for quite some time.

They decided to go around when the heavy rain came...at which point they would probably still fly the missed approach procedure unless otherwise instructed.

It would be about the same as if you shot an approach, had the runway in sight the entire time, descended past the minimums....then a fuel truck pulled out on the runway and you opted to go around.

Last edited:

They went around when the "vis" went away. At mins they still had good visibility so they continued, then the rain got real heavy, so you can go around anytime you feel like you need to.

Saw this earlier. What is wrong? I saw the environment right off. Then heard 500. Then heard decision height come. All the while the environment is clearly in sight. After dh it went away and they went missed. Am i missing anything that makes this an unsafe op whatsoever?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Saw this earlier. What is wrong? I saw the environment right off. Then heard 500. Then heard decision height come. All the while the environment is clearly in sight. After dh it went away and they went missed. Am i missing anything that makes this an unsafe op whatsoever?
I don't think so. The rain just got heavier over the runway, that's all.

Pretty sure that's by the book.

For an example of it done incorrectly, read up on the Lion Air's landing: http://news.aviation-safety.net/2013/05/15/2914/

The key is in LA's case they lost visibility of the runway after minimums was called and hoped it would come back before finally giving up, too late.

The rain just got "really heavy" over the runway-that is all. Its just part of the changing environment that we fly in. While its not the norm, I wouldn't say its unsafe. Weather is very dynamic and you need to be able to adjust at any time.

They went around when the "vis" went away. At mins they still had good visibility so they continued, then the rain got real heavy, so you can go around anytime you feel like you need to.

Yep that's just how I see it.

I didn't post this because I thought it was an unsafe op, and I don't think anyone else in the thread implied it was unsafe...quite to the contrary, I think this thread supports the judgement to go around. I posted it because I found it an interesting example of a GA after decision height in a large aircraft.

Last edited:
Pretty cool video, not something you see happen everyday. Is that just a fancy version of a 737?

I wouldn't be surprised if they came pretty close to touching the mains on that one. Although I did hear 'positive rate' pretty soon after they decided to get outta there

All in a days work, beats the sh7t out of a slow death in an office cubicle somewhere !

All in a days work, beats the sh7t out of a slow death in an office cubicle somewhere !

You had to bring that up... I'm living the cubicle dream. Hoping to retire from my cube in the next 30 years or so... ;)

Pretty cool video, not something you see happen everyday. Is that just a fancy version of a 737?

It's just a high gross airframe that we don't have to install the interior on. It goes somewhere else to have a custom interior installed. We still do all the same flight control testing. They rig out the same as an -800. Flight deck looks exactly like any other. That weird almost hard raining noise you hear in the sporadically background is the stab trim wheels spinning at high speed with the thumb switches. I've Done the stab test hundreds of times.

Last edited:
Back