Video: How not to skydive

As our old Sgt Major in Army ROTC was fond of saying...

"Two things fall from the sky. Bird**** and fools!"

That guy was lucky, but his thought about doing it again was right. He's used up his supply of luck.

I was wondering if the reserve chute had its own straps.

They were not very defensive of him on the skydiving forum (did not follow instructions very well as I recall).

I think that the guy made it sound a whole hell of a lot worse then it was. For example he said something like: "They had not trained me for anything like this"

I don't know about you all...But if my main parachute were to come off I'd be thinking awful quick about my reserve chute and using it. This guy completely forgot about his reserve chute until one of his jump instructors saved his ass.

People really need to learn to think through what they are about to do and accept the associated risks and when something doesn't go according to the plan accept and manage the consequences.

jangell said:
I think that the guy made it sound a whole hell of a lot worse then it was. For example he said something like: "They had not trained me for anything like this"

I don't know about you all...But if my main parachute were to come off I'd be thinking awful quick about my reserve chute and using it. This guy completely forgot about his reserve chute until one of his jump instructors saved his ass.

People really need to learn to think through what they are about to do and accept the associated risks and when something doesn't go according to the plan accept and manage the consequences.

Ditto that...

He had been trained to use the reserve chute if something goes wrong with his main chute. Every exact emergency scenario is unpredictable out of so many possibilities and his focusing on that particular scenario as a deficiency in training is bogus plus, he sure didn't steer very well, if at all.

Let'sgoflying! said:
They were not very defensive of him on the skydiving forum (did not follow instructions very well as I recall).

Well other than he seemed resigned to his fate after his main failed, did they have anything else to comment on? Not being a skydiver myself I am not sure of what all he could have done. But it did look like he froze and would have been a meat pancake thingy if his instructor hadn't helped out.

jangell said:

You can suspect he might have been a very busy someone like Steve Fossett who blew off the details in the training so he could get to it. (On one of Fosset's first balloon record attempts he froze because he couldn't start the heater. After he landed they reminded him he had to prime it.)

Back