Video Game advice (N/A)

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Looking to invest in a game system. Something is wrong with my wife, because she actually thinks it's a good idea. Time to act while she's still sick in the head!!

Pros/Cons of XBox360 vs PS3 vs Wii? It's been more than a few years since I had a game station (think Atari 2600) so I'm a little out of date. It'll be used for a mix of kids games, driving games (my girls love crashing and racing - hope that's not a hint of things to come) and of course, first-person shooters for me.

Comments??

it doesnt matter what you get, Guitar Hero will play on any system

We have the Wii, the kids love it because it is interactive, and you can use up to 4 controllers so we all look like idiots in our den playing together (but it is fun). Just really have to be careful with young kids. After a couple of times getting hit with the controllers, they learned to spread out a little.

Don't know much about the others, although from what I have heard (and why I decided on the Wii) the Wii games are more geared towards younger children as opposed to teens and up. The graphics are not as good on the Wii, but the game play is the tradeoff.

Good luck getting your hands on one this time of year though. Took me 8 months to get one, and I finally got it in July (I started looking for it as a Christmas Gift).

The Wii is very family game friendly, and while the graphics aren't as good, it's fully backwards compatible with gamecube games (you just need separate controllers). (I have one)

The XBox 360 is higher end graphics and sound but not all that many multiplayer games, and it is NOT fully backwards compatible with the Xbox. (I have one)

The PS3, from what I hear, is an overpriced PS2 with a blu-ray dvd drive. (I dont have one)

I'd recommend the Wii for your situation.

When the prices become reasonable I'll consider getting a next next(sic) gen system. For me it will be the games that determine which system I get, mainly the next GTA, Smash Bros, & a whatever driving games come up.

For Smash Bros I'm considering the Wii if only to final do the epic "Mario vs. Sonic" battle. I just need to find other games on the Wii to justify the purchase. I've never held it, but a rectangular controller just doesn't look that comfortable in addition to trashing your TV.

The Playstation line so far (have had PS one & PS2 B4) has been good to me. Good graphics and the most reasonably priced games and accessories in addition to having the best 1st party controller ever to touch my hands. The PS3 looks like it should be good, although it was originally $700, $400 still seems like a lot until I get an HD TV to take in all the graphical improvments. But atleast the online gameplay is free.

The Xbox 360 is also a solid system and has the advantage of playing your music and video files but I'm biased against them for being Microsoft. The online features require a fee IIRC and there is the "red ring of death" issue too.

Its Wii or PS3 for me.

The Xbox 360 aint as solid as you'ld think.

It's got - or had anyway - real heat issues. Cheap heatsinks, bad ventilation. I think the problem has been fixed on newer models.

The PS3, from what I hear, is an overpriced PS2 with a blu-ray dvd drive. (I dont have one)

Last year I "helped" my daughter buy a PS2 along with the dancing game she really wanted. We also got a driving/racing game and controller. IIRC the whole thing cost about $160 and she's happy with the result. Sometimes buying below the bleeding edge is OK.

hmmm ive got an NES, SNES, PS2 and Gamecube at home. The SNES is in mint condition with original packaging and has only been used once, just to check that it actually worked. Also have some golf game with it that, also, has only been used once. the NES works and ive got a kajillion games with it. Gamecube i think ive got a couple medal of honor, a baseball, and tiger woods golf game. I would probably be willing to part with them. No way im giving up the PS2 now that i got Guitar Hero 3.

Come on all you need is an NES emulator and the Super Tecmo Bowl rom.

Pete

You had to love that undefendable Walter Payton play in tecmo though. I forgot to add Mike Tyson's Punch out to the list.

Pete

boy i can just imagine trying to pound through dueling banjos on my playstation

or, from south park, get the total rockstar treatment with the trifecta of guitar hero, heroin hero, and rehab hero

Wii seems to be the odds-on favorite. If it was just to be a toy for me, I'd opt for PS3 or XBox360 - them there graphics are amazing:yes:

Still, based on my research and, in no small part due to the learned opinions of my POA bretheren, the Wii does seem like the logical family choice. I can still play Call of Duty, and if rumors are true, Guitar Hero, and the kids can play their things.:goofy:

BTW, I have my kids looking over my shoulder, begging me to put emoticons in the message. If it were up to them my posts would be a string of emoticons and a letter or two, instead of the reverse.:hairraise::eek:;)

:rofl:Hey there Morrison kids:yes: you . Your Mommy must really :blowingkisses: your:p. To let him get another video game:yes:. You see your daddy already has a very very expensive video game. Its an:blueplane:with a :drink::wineglass: panel. Thats

the very best kind of video game. Now if you really want to make your :p:vomit: and your :blowingkisses::mad::mad: tell here you think :p needs a new:heli:Its much more fun than a video game;). If you tell :blowingkisses: that :p wants a new:heli:
then it will be really :rofl::rofl::rofl:. Before :blowingkisses: says:no: you will see:lightning: and she will send :p for a :rollercoaster: That will be sooooo :rofl::rofl: to watch. much better than a video game. And :p can't even get :mad: at you because you are his little:princess:.

How do I know this?:dunno: Well it could be because I'm his:cheers: at Wings.

Bwaaaaahahahahaha!!!!

They are going to LOVE that!

To quote my wife (who just read the post) ":rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:"

:rofl:Hey there Morrison kids <snip> at Wings.
Knowing how most lawyers are proficient at billable hours... I have to wonder how that appeared on someone's statement. :D

That was great... I loved it! :)

Wii for family fun, period.

As for the 360 vs. PS3....while Sony basically OWNED the console market with the PS2, it is lagging way, way behind in the next-gen arena.

For me it would be an 360 and a Wii....

My wife never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think I have her figured out...

So, I told her about the Wii, that it's fun for families, not cutting edge graphics or gaming, but would be great for playing with the kids. She asked if that was ok for me too. I said, well, sure I'd like a high-end system, but we should get what's best for the kids.

That's when she said, "Why couldn't we get both." :eek: :goofy:

My wife never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think I have her figured out...

So, I told her about the Wii, that it's fun for families, not cutting edge graphics or gaming, but would be great for playing with the kids. She asked if that was ok for me too. I said, well, sure I'd like a high-end system, but we should get what's best for the kids.

That's when she said, "Why couldn't we get both." :eek: :goofy:

Barb just said, "I think a Wii would be fun... but certainly not a priority right now" Oh well... It's great when it's THEIR idea. :yes:

We are going to be over Philly way (King of Prussia) the week after Thanksgiving. I plan on taking Nate to Doylestown to show him where he first lived and the hospital he was born in. I was thinking of taking a few hours one day and hanging out at Wing's Field. My office was in Plymouth Meeting when we lived over there, so I'm pretty familiar with the area. Will you be around?

Scott send Andrew and I a PM besides us there are a bunch of POAers local to Wings.

Back