Video for Plane

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
I'm looking at wanting to have a video camera setup for the Aztec that I can use to get video of some of the various cool things that I encounter when flying. The goal is to get some videos for Cloud Nine together and also to work on an educational video series with some videos of things that one might encounter but that you never see, stuff like ice accumulating and the boots doing their thing.

I'm also cheap. What I'd like is something that I'd keep relatively fixed (so probably on a tripod in the plane). A highly flexible display screen so I can see what I'm videotaping would be useful, as well as being able to plug it into the audio panel and get sound that way so I can narrate. Preferably be able to get this for in the $100 range, quality only needs to be YouTube quality.

So, what say y'all?

If you already have a laptop, you may want to look into a webcam. As long as you have room in the right seat for the laptop, the cameras are cheap, small, and are available in various qualities.

Grab a copy of this month's Sport Aviation from EAA. There's an article in there comparing various price ranges of in-flight video equipment on page 16.

I posted webcam results from my plane last year - you might do a search to see what the results were like.
I recall the vid was pretty poor quality and being placed on the belly, took some oil on the lens...you won't have that problem Ted! I am looking at some better quality cams with wide angle lens, and a way to rotate it left and right, and control everything from the cockpit.

I'm looking at wanting to have a video camera setup for the Aztec that I can use to get video of some of the various cool things that I encounter when flying. The goal is to get some videos for Cloud Nine together and also to work on an educational video series with some videos of things that one might encounter but that you never see, stuff like ice accumulating and the boots doing their thing.

I'm also cheap. What I'd like is something that I'd keep relatively fixed (so probably on a tripod in the plane). A highly flexible display screen so I can see what I'm videotaping would be useful, as well as being able to plug it into the audio panel and get sound that way so I can narrate. Preferably be able to get this for in the $100 range, quality only needs to be YouTube quality.

So, what say y'all?

I use the POV cam. It has the screen you need and audio plug to panel. Rugged too. I duct tape it to my plane, motorcycle etc. It isn't that cheap though. I have a lot of flight footage at http://www.edcrane.com flying my mooney with this cam ductaped to the ceiling. http://www.vio-pov.com/products/pov_15.php

Last edited:
Yeah, my goal is to have something in the cockpit. You know, see video of the dogs, instruments, lightning (!!!) etc. And Dave, I may not have oil on the belly of the plane, but I do have the heater exhaust on the belly! Yep, another failure of Janitrol. :)

I looked at the POV camera and like it (Austin uses that and recommended it to me), but as they say in France, it's "Tres cher" (too expensive). I'd like something in the roughly $100 range, $100-200 is probably fine.

Ted just go to Best Buy or any of the video big box stores. See what you like and then look for it online you cheap SOB:D

Seriously, anything you find as described above will work for you. No need to go hog wild.

imkku9.jpg

21dg3eo.jpg

Here's how the video turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KgKo-9CySw

Breakdown of construction: The insert that the camera is sitting in is a hard drive cushion I had laying around, and I used tourniquets (new, not used) to secure it to the side of my headset...my camera is pretty small, so I didn't feel any lopsidedness. Worked pretty well methinks.

I just wanted to get some first-person view footage, and this seemed like the best way of doing it.

Nice video. I suspect it is a good way to take the vid inexpensivly if you are solo. Unfortunatly Ted looks strange enough with out that contraption on his head:rofl:. See my PM about a good way to improve the sound.

I've used a bunch of different solutions (lipstick cams, HD camcorder on a suction mount, etc) but the one I'm getting the most mileage out of is the VHoldr - a self contained, POV camera that I have attached to just a normal baseball cap. It looks where ever I look and records pretty good quality video (subjective I know). Here's an example of the video I've shot with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VpBddx9VpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAXmiABNsWc

Info on the camera and their social networking site is at: www.vholdr.com

Hey guys!

Just read the post and thoguht I would throw this mount out there for you to look at. A member on SP.com recomended it so I boutght it. I gotta say it was the best 40 bucks I have spent. I mount my KODAK M1093S camera I bought at Wal-Mart for about $100. Its a great digital camera and can do up to 1-1/2 hours of good video with a 4 gig SD card.

Here is a link to the mount (hope its ok to post ?)

http://www.gforcemount.com/GF_007.htm

It is a suction cup mount and hold real good.

~ Russell

Here is a much cheaper camera I also like. Fairly easy to use, takes fairly good video, and has a fairly good time for video. It may be a little big or heavy to attach to a headset, but if you could attach it to the outside of the ear cup I think It would work quite well. This beats out some other 200-300 cameras I have used such as the GoPro (thats a nono!). Cheaper than your $100-$200 Quota and will suit your needs well. If you do need to increase film time you could always buy a card with more memory too.

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCIQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

Waterproof incase you are on your way to the Carolinas and don't have a beer cooler around! :rofl:

Last edited:
Are you always this decisive about buying stuff?:rofl:

So, what say y'all?

When it comes to cheap things (<$250), yes.

When it comes to expensive things (cars, airplanes, motorcycles, houses, etc.) I pretty much just find one and buy it. :yesnod:

Wayne - you will recognize that as common usage more easily if stated in the language of those living closer to your present locale, "He is fixin' to get ready to buy..." !

Hey guys!

Just read the post and thoguht I would throw this mount out there for you to look at. A member on SP.com recomended it so I boutght it. I gotta say it was the best 40 bucks I have spent. I mount my KODAK M1093S camera I bought at Wal-Mart for about $100. Its a great digital camera and can do up to 1-1/2 hours of good video with a 4 gig SD card.

Here is a link to the mount (hope its ok to post ?)

http://www.gforcemount.com/GF_007.htm

It is a suction cup mount and hold real good.

~ Russell

Thanks for that, Russell! Going back to their home page, I see they make some nice mounts for the Aera, 696, etc. too:

http://www.gforcemount.com/

Yayus, David, thasmore like it.

Wayne - you will recognize that as common usage more easily if stated in the language of those living closer to your present locale, "He is fixin' to get ready to buy..." !

Microsoft LiveCinema HD -- records in 720p, $60.
Laptop, hard-drive, on-board power. Rinse, repeat.

Cheers,

-Andrew

We've used that camera for some of the Yak dog-fighting / formation aerobatics. Nice camera, just wish it was HD.
If it is going to be on youtube or vimeo you dont NEED HD. You can see my videos using it in my signature. It is a little over what Ted wanted to pay, unless he's changed the amount willing.

Microsoft LiveCinema HD -- records in 720p, $60.
Laptop, hard-drive, on-board power. Rinse, repeat.

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hmmm...

...so how many of these you reckon could be recorded at the same time, connected to one PC?

I like my GoPro Hero HD - great video quality, battery lasts hours (I filmed a recent flight from HPN-WWD in its entirety in 720p, then a bunch of the return flight as well without a recharge), the sound is pretty good (although no hookup for external audio). I'm planning to use it for skydiving and scuba as well, and the price was certainly reasonable given all of those uses.

Here's a sample video (youtube HD)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMc2kG1CbEk

I like my GoPro Hero HD - great video quality, battery lasts hours (I filmed a recent flight from HPN-WWD in its entirety in 720p, then a bunch of the return flight as well without a recharge), the sound is pretty good (although no hookup for external audio). I'm planning to use it for skydiving and scuba as well, and the price was certainly reasonable given all of those uses.
[/URL]

I found that (Ski scenario) the menu's are IMPOSSIBLE to use. Batteries even with lithium get zapped to the point the camera makes its own decision before shutting off. Very hard to mount too. And quality was mediocre. Either way it doesn't have the audio port Ted needs.

Did you have an HD version? I think the HD is a complete redesign as I haven't had any of the problems you describe, except the fact that the menus are a little slow. Audio input would be nice though. As for mounting, the suction cup seems to work very well. I'm thinking of using a separate audio recorder like the one from Zoom.

Did you have an HD version? I think the HD is a complete redesign as I haven't had any of the problems you describe, except the fact that the menus are a little slow. ]

Ah you're right it wasn't HD

I severely disagree, worst camera I have ever used, useless piece of crap if you want any quality, duration of film, or ease of use. Battery life sucks too.
That's why I said "looks"... you are the first person I've ever heard of that has actually shot with it.

I doubt I will ever do it. I get all keen to figure it out, then stumble all over the terminology.

Eg, on these links it lists
lux, lines of resolution, lens size, focal length, volts and amp draw, cmos chip.

Jeez, why don't they say in plain language "plug and play into any Windows computer" or "you need a ____ to connect this to" or "stores 30mins vid" and "batteries (not) required".........and an example of the video it will produce?! :mad:

They are killing their sales by advertising only to their 'in' crowd.

Back