VIDEO:Flying Reindeer Fly to Sedona, AZ (KSEZ), Open Door Creates Distraction

FlyingMonkey

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingMonkey
I am super excited to share this video I put together about our adventure flying to wonderful, magical Sedona, AZ. On the return, we had an event with the cockpit door not being fully shut.

I have really been enjoying creating these flying videos and I hope you enjoy watching them.

Thanks,
Eric

Pretty incredible that an otherwise small issue with door not latched turned more dramatic and could have caused a more serious issue of it flex back and got stuck in elevator. Another lesson to learn. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job of staying focused and flying the plane.

I had the door pop open 20 minutes after take off from Falcon Field in Mesa en route to Tucson. I was solo and don't have autopilot so after many attempts to close it, I just gave up and continued on. It was cold and noisy but otherwise a non event.

I had the door pop open 20 minutes after take off from Falcon Field in Mesa en route to Tucson. I was solo and don't have autopilot so after many attempts to close it, I just gave up and continued on. It was cold and noisy but otherwise a non event.
I have been hearing from a lot of pilots that the open door has happened to them. It happened to me in training, in my 180 and in my 6. Always a non event as I didn't even try to close it because I know it is nearly impossible on airborne and flying over 100mph.

Great job of staying focused and flying the plane.

Thank you. I just kept thinking to keep my speed slow to minimize the shaking but fast enough to be above my personal minimum maneuvering speed of 90 knots. 90 knots is a few knots above the no flaps stall speed in a 60 degree bank which should protect any regular maneuver in the traffic pattern. I added a few knots to this in my head to consider the disturbed airflow. I think having rules of thumb like this minimum maneuvering speed and knowing the airplane's envelope like it's your own name is a real benefit when we get in situations like this.

Pretty incredible that an otherwise small issue with door not latched turned more dramatic and could have caused a more serious issue of it flex back and got stuck in elevator. Another lesson to learn. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am always amazed at how quickly any flying situation can turn bad. chain of events....

Back