[video] FlightFlix Surface Mount Test Flight & Review

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad

I received a FlightFlix surface mount (Gopro) for Xmas and finally got in a test flight. It is definitely better than the other mounts I have tried! Lots of versatility for exterior mounts, especially if your plane has 2,967 inspection covers like ours does :) I like that everything is metal so its solid and easy to lock down tight. Also included is a thin rubber pad to not mark up the paint.

The only issue I had was the threaded base seemed to be mounted upside down. It is screwed in so tight that I could not remove it to flip it over. Perhaps it is permanently attached? In any case, I could not start the threaded camera mount into it. I am figuring the final few threads are not tapped to prevent the camera mount stud from driving through the adapter and into the paint. To solve this I tapped the rest of the threads and now have to be careful I don't screw the camera stud in too far.

The mount I have is the RS Slim. Mine does not have the Vibe X piece which would dampen vibration. The only time I noticed a vibration issue is right after the plane rotates and the main gear lift off - there is shudder as the wheels spin down.

The video was done using a Gopro Hero 5 black in a metal housing with a 52mm ND4 filter to blur the prop. The camera was started and stopped using the Smart Remote. It was about +25F outside. Lots of ice. No snow. Having fun with steep turns. The forward slip to land looks kinda funky.

Looks like a sturdy mount. Try angling the camera forward on more of a 45 degree angle. Your airplane is pretty, but I’d rather see more of the scenery. ;)

Looks like a sturdy mount. Try angling the camera forward on more of a 45 degree angle. Your airplane is pretty, but I’d rather see more of the scenery. ;)
I will definitely be pointing it more forward, probably like 60+ degrees and down about 15 degrees for any future videos. Plus more camera angles.

This was just a test however. I wanted to see the camera recording indicator, what steep turns looked like and to actually see a landing for the first time.

I'm thinking of buying another one to mount up on the overhead console. I now officially hate the plastic, single point mounts.

Back