Video editing software

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
Someone mentioned Microsoft's Movie Maker in another thread. Imagine my surprise when I found it was already on my computer! It is quite cool, and I'll have a lot of fun with it. Sadly, however, it does not do what I need it to do. Heck, it won't even try to work with my videos.

My camera saves it's files in .mov format. I am looking for a video editor that will let me splice movies together, and shorten them up a bit. I also need to reduce the file size of the videos, while maintaining decent quality. A bonus would be the ability to convert the files to .wmv format.

I could get most of what I want by shelling out $30 and upgrading to Quicktime Pro, but I'm cheap, and hoping someone may have used some freebies that are worthwhile.

Joe I got 'DVD Shrink' freeware on line somewhere last month, took a while to figure out but works good, allows editing and file size mgmnt.

Joe Williams said:
Someone mentioned Microsoft's Movie Maker in another thread. Imagine my surprise when I found it was already on my computer! It is quite cool, and I'll have a lot of fun with it. Sadly, however, it does not do what I need it to do. Heck, it won't even try to work with my videos.

My camera saves it's files in .mov format. I am looking for a video editor that will let me splice movies together, and shorten them up a bit. I also need to reduce the file size of the videos, while maintaining decent quality. A bonus would be the ability to convert the files to .wmv format.

I could get most of what I want by shelling out $30 and upgrading to Quicktime Pro, but I'm cheap, and hoping someone may have used some freebies that are worthwhile.

.mov is not a format, its a file structure, Apple Quicktime to be exact. Quicktime encompasses, last time I check, about 300 different file formats. My hunch is your video is some flavor of mpeg, maybe 2 or 4. It ****es Microsoft off to know end that the international standards board pick Apple's quicktime as the file structure for the mpeg 4 standard but thats another story.

You need to transcode your video to DV. You already have quicktime loaded on your computer. If you upgrade it to the pro version, $29, then you will be able to open your file in the quicktime player and export them out was DV format. Now, there is a free transcoder but I don't remember who makes it. I'll find out

Keep in mind the file will get much much bigger. And, the quality will really suffer.

Last edited:
My son's big into video stuff - he got a free version of Avid (sort of a trial version) - it's one of the packages that the pros use. I don't know if the free version is still downloadable, but check http://www.avid.com
Edit - just checked and AvidFree 1.6.1 is available on the above website. Keep in mind that this is a professional package - the options, setups, etc pretty much baffled me, but there are some tutorials available for training.

Back