Video: Cirrus SR22T IFR <200' OVC departure w/ 900' OVC approach at Class B KBWI

No argument there, and I was thinking of making that point as well. But that's true of ANY departure into IFR conditions in a single, even if conditions are somewhat above minimums. If we're talking about getting back into the departure field for reasons other than an emergency, then whether you could get back in on an approach becomes relevant.
That's why 135 and 121 have a takeoff alternate requirement when the departure airport is above takeoff minimums but below landing minimums. Granted, the airport only needs to be within an hour for 135. Not sure about 121. It's not required for 91 but it might be a good idea to have a place in mind.

Not quite... Plain and simple, DA is NOT a minimum. It is a DECISISION ALTITUDE. That should not imply in any way a 200 foot ceiling is a minimum for the approach. The ONLY minimum is the visibility.

Please PM me if you need further instruction.

I never understood this place... If I was was wrong there would be fifty people pointing out my error. When I'm right.... Crickets.

With all do respect... You simply are not comprehending the landing concept.

Please PM me. We can talk via phone.

Yes. We get it. The DA is a decision altitude and you are expected to descend below it just from the airplane's own momentum and the time it takes to execute the climb for the missed. And you can descend to 100' if you have the right criteria met. Got it! In fact we've had whole threads on this. Repeatedly. You are correct on this point.

My point was that when you have an emergency, declare it and do what you have to do to deal with the emergency. If that means busting MDA or descending in below-minimum vis - if in the PIC's judgment that's the best thing to do then DO IT and don't fret about nonsense that will just get you hurt. Fly the airplane.

In this case, with a 127' ceiling the OP could have flown an approach and landed safely as long as he had enough engine power to do so. Where it gets dicey is when you don't have that and you have to land straight ahead - there is not much time below the overcast to find a suitable place.

So my opinion is that the minimums or DAs on the approaches are not the biggest reason for not launching into low crud - the practicality of an engine-out on takeoff is. In an emergency, if you're ABLE to fly the approach then you need not feel obligated to abide by the minima.

Last edited:
thanks for the "ride along by video". I will get brave enough to go into BWI one of these days.

As Bravos go, BWI is easy-peasy. Outside the morning push, its hardly worse than a busy Delta. The controllers there are very accommodating. Plan to land 33R/15L; ground is literally one turnoff onto the GA ramp. Signature has a free omelet bar on Fridays. File IFR if you can, it makes a lot of SFRA/approach flow issues go away.

Cool. What was your plan if problems developed shortly on takeoff? Your dept airport would be below mins.

At 2:47, it says in the soup at 127'. IFR mins are usually 200', For his TO airport it is 250'.

Not legally required, but interested in the planning aspect since legally he couldn't land at the TO airport.

Yes. We get it. The DA is a decision altitude and you are expected to descend below it just from the airplane's own momentum and the time it takes to execute the climb for the missed. And you can descend to 100' if you have the right criteria met. Got it! In fact we've had whole threads on this. Repeatedly. You are correct on this point.

My point was that when you have an emergency, declare it and do what you have to do to deal with the emergency. If that means busting MDA or descending in below-minimum vis - if in the PIC's judgment that's the best thing to do then DO IT and don't fret about nonsense that will just get you hurt. Fly the airplane.

In this case, with a 127' ceiling the OP could have flown an approach and landed safely as long as he had enough engine power to do so. Where it gets dicey is when you don't have that and you have to land straight ahead - there is not much time below the overcast to find a suitable place.

So my opinion is that the minimums or DAs on the approaches are not the biggest reason for not launching into low crud - the practicality of an engine-out on takeoff is. In an emergency, if you're ABLE to fly the approach then you need not feel obligated to abide by the minima.
You see, what started my posting was the misconception that a 100' ceiling was below mins. My point was just to point out that minimums are only based on visibility, not ceiling.... Regardless of emergency or not.

As Bravos go, BWI is easy-peasy. Outside the morning push, its hardly worse than a busy Delta. The controllers there are very accommodating. Plan to land 33R/15L; ground is literally one turnoff onto the GA ramp. Signature has a free omelet bar on Fridays. File IFR if you can, it makes a lot of SFRA/approach flow issues go away.

Yea, 33R at BWI feels like its a seperate airport all together. No sweat.

You see, what started my posting was the misconception that a 100' ceiling was below mins. My point was just to point out that minimums are only based on visibility, not ceiling.... Regardless of emergency or not.

How would the pilot determine vis at destination during preflight if RVR is not avail in this scenario? Should you launch?

How would the pilot determine vis at destination during preflight if RVR is not avail in this scenario? Should you launch?

For flight planning purposes, use the ATIS/AWOS/ASOS, or prevailing visibility at nearby airports.

As you know, what you see when you get there is what matters, as it's FLIGHT visibility that matters.

Fair enough. Agree. :D

Great video, just passed my private check ride a couple of weeks ago and had my first Instrument lesson a couple of days ago. Your video has me even more excited to get my instrument rating. Grew up in Morgantown (though I've lived in Charlotte for several years now) so that was cool too, looking forward to making a flight up that way soon (VFR of course for now). Thanks for sharing!

Back