Video Camera Mount

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
Someone just gave me a Flip video camera. I understand that this camera is a very basic entry level camera, but I would like to play with it to see if I develop the urge for a more sophisticated camera.

How do I mount this camera in the plane? I'd like something inexpensive and temporary to try out the concept.

I am imagining something like a beanbag bottom and a mounting bracket on the top. This could be set up on the glare shield. One other detail: The hole for the bolt is on the small edge of the camera (see attached photo). In other words if the bolt from the camera mount system is vertical, then the camera will be in position to take photos in portrait, as opposed to landscape, mode. I'll have to find an angle bracket so that the camera can be held in landscape mode...

Thanks for your replies.

-Skip

Attachments

• Flip video camera.jpg
    Flip video camera.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 3
Many people use a suction cup mount, with a tripod connector. Panavise and others make them. Makes sure it's sturdy, as vibration will spoil your shots. You might develop a preference for a wider angle lens.

I'm starting to lust after an Nflightcam. Ideally I'd like to use it while flying and on the bike. The big question is, will the suction cup mount actually WORK stuck to the windshield of, say, a rental Cherokee? And will it stick well enough to stick it on the windshield of the Harley? I could do something else on the bike if needed, but in the airplane it would have to be quick and no-hassle on and off. I just want to be able to review my training flights for now. I've thought about using the suction cup mount for my Droid phone, but haven't tried that yet... and I'd really like to get intercom audio. The GPS track feature is cool too.

Back