Victoria Flying Club

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Victoria Flying Club - flying in foreign jurisdictions

Hi all

while out in the great Pacific Northwest I plan to go flying. I have been looking for some schools and there is one near Victoria. They have about half a dozen 152s and half a dozen 172s. I'll insert the descriptions later, they seem to be the same but for maybe the radios. Mostly P models (172).

anyway, they go for 114 wet and 45 for the instructor. The going rate is .71 now, right? 159 an hour times .7, or 112 USD. I am currently paying 140 USD an hour with CFI.

if they get better weather THERE than here I might even bump out several hours, wouldn't that be funny? (to get more flying in there than here, so far anyway). (this will be early July which I hear is good weather).

my next question is - if I actually take a few lessons... will this count at all towards my PPL (or if I have it already, towards hours to bump me up to enough time for IFR training) since it is in Canada, or not?

Last edited:
Re: Victoria Flying Club - flying in foreign jurisdictions

Victoria is nice in the summer. A lot of Canadians retire there because the weather is relatively good even in winter. Notice I said, "relatively."

Gary Sortor said:
Victoria is nice in the summer. A lot of Canadians retire there because the weather is relatively good even in winter. Notice I said, "relatively."

It was in the 70s yesterday. and every thing is in bloom.

woodstock said:
Hi all

while out in the great Pacific Northwest I plan to go flying. I have been looking for some schools and there is one near Victoria. They have about half a dozen 152s and half a dozen 172s. I'll insert the descriptions later, they seem to be the same but for maybe the radios. Mostly P models (172).

anyway, they go for 114 wet and 45 for the instructor. The going rate is .71 now, right? 159 an hour times .7, or 112 USD. I am currently paying 140 USD an hour with CFI.

if they get better weather THERE than here I might even bump out several hours, wouldn't that be funny? (to get more flying in there than here, so far anyway). (this will be early July which I hear is good weather).

my next question is - if I actually take a few lessons... will this count at all towards my PPL (or if I have it already, towards hours to bump me up to enough time for IFR training) since it is in Canada, or not?

Sometimes there is a way to make out of US training hours count, but it is prolly not worth it to you. See 61.41

Most log 60 or more hrs before the PPL checkride. You only need 40.

If you do get your PPL beforehand then all flying counts no matter where the plane is registered.

Have a great trip :goofy:

woodstock said:

The current exchange rate is just above .80 - so $159 CAD works out to about $127 USD. My business trips to Calgary aren't as good of a deal as they have been in the past. :no:

Scott

rsleeds said:
The current exchange rate is just above .80 - so $159 CAD works out to about $127 USD. My business trips to Calgary aren't as good of a deal as they have been in the past. :no:

Scott

it sure isn't much of a savings.

guess that also rules out the floatplanes this time (for lessons). they are asking 275 CAD an hour, can't remember if that included a CFI or not...

Eamon said:
Sometimes there is a way to make out of US training hours count, but it is prolly not worth it to you. See 61.41

Most log 60 or more hrs before the PPL checkride. You only need 40.

If you do get your PPL beforehand then all flying counts no matter where the plane is registered.

Have a great trip :goofy:
I had quite a few dual hours from the Philippines (~5-7). The time counted as dual received. My instructor and I discussed it when I finished up and we agreed to fly a few extra hours of dual with her so that there would be no confusion from the examiner.

By the time I was ready to go we basically flew a few extra hours of dual. I spent the time happily under the hood. I am a fanatic about getting hood time whenever I can.

You should definitely log it.

Back