Vick... Pick Your Name...

K

KennyFlys

He's an idiot, moron, stupid jerk... or, all that and much more. And, he threw away all he had and more. Another ten good years in the NFL and he'd have people begging to use his name for life and paying dearly for it. But, it's history...

First Story: NFL suspends quarterback Michael Vick indefinitely after he files plea

Updated Version: NFL suspends quarterback Michael Vick indefinitely after he files plea
Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.
Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank applauds NFL's indefinite suspension of Vick

Nike terminates contract with Michael Vick

I got this in my email today...funny.

I'd consider buying one if they would give all the proceeds to a rescue group or the ASPCA or some similar organization. But I'm a little disgusted they are trying to make a profit off of this if they aren't donating at least some of the proceeds:

Big Dog Spanks Michael Vick

Last edited:
This makes me very happy to read. I hope Vick is not ever welcomed back to the NFL.

This makes me very happy to read. I hope Vick is not ever welcomed back to the NFL.
There was a guy on the radio last night condemning Vick for what he did and supporting his going to jail. But then he raised the question is it fair for him to have lost his livelyhood after paying his fines and other penalties. In other words, once he has paid his debt to society is it fair for society to not allow him to participate in his profession?

IMHO yes it is fair. I think that he should be held to a higher standard as our society has placed athletes into the role models for people. And as such they are not allowed to be as fallible as regular people. The higher the responsibility in society the higher the penalty. His behavior has brought great discredit upon himself, his family, the NFL, and athletes in general. Because of that his penalty must go beyond just that of the law. The NFL is within their rights to ban him for life. If he still wants to play there is always the CFL.

RogerR20070823_low.jpg

Pretty much, the idea I had.

There was a guy on the radio last night condemning Vick for what he did and supporting his going to jail. But then he raised the question is it fair for him to have lost his livelyhood after paying his fines and other penalties. In other words, once he has paid his debt to society is it fair for society to not allow him to participate in his profession?

IMHO yes it is fair. I think that he should be held to a higher standard as our society has placed athletes into the role models for people. And as such they are not allowed to be as fallible as regular people. The higher the responsibility in society the higher the penalty. His behavior has brought great discredit upon himself, his family, the NFL, and athletes in general. Because of that his penalty must go beyond just that of the law. The NFL is within their rights to ban him for life. If he still wants to play there is always the CFL.
Yes, it's fair. Now, were it government, law enforcement or the courts imposing additional restrictions then I'd say that was an extended punishment. That would be unconstitutional. But, the NFL is private enterprise. As long as the banishment or any action they take does not violate basic civil rights then they can do this. And, they should make it permanent rather than "indefinite."

If NASCAR can pernanently ban Shane Hmeil for two drug convictions, it's good enough for Michael Vick.

If NASCAR can pernanently ban Shane Hmeil for two drug convictions, it's good enough for Michael Vick.
I do not disagree and am quit happy if he is never allowed to play again. But the Major League Sports are hypocritical when it comes to this type of behavior. The NFL Still to this day makes money selling OJ Simpson and Rae Carruth jerseys. The NFL seems to have no problems making money off of murders of people. So why should they caare about a few dogs? Ray Lewis of the Baltimore Ravens is still playing football even though was convicted of obstructing justice in a murder investigation. Not to mention the plethora of brawlers, wide-beaters, and sex offenders still in the employ of the NFL. Why do these 'people' get a pass when Vick is seemingly not? I don't have an answer, I would prefer to have them also kicked out as well.

Yes, it's fair. Now, were it government, law enforcement or the courts imposing additional restrictions then I'd say that was an extended punishment. That would be unconstitutional. But, the NFL is private enterprise. As long as the banishment or any action they take does not violate basic civil rights then they can do this. And, they should make it permanent rather than "indefinite."

My company's code of conduct requires employees to report all criminal convictions and DWI arrests (I think, but some jobs require driving company vehicles.) I don't suppose that's because they want to congratulate you.

The last few days, the Atlanta Humane Society has received a half dozen Vick jerseys... intended for use to line the animal cages. :)

Sweet revenge ...

OMG!!!! That's the funniest thing I've ever seen. Particularly interesting since I have GSDs.

Where can I download that pic with sufficient size to print?

Last edited:
INSPIRATION! It just hit me! I know the PREFECT punishment for Vick!

Every Christmas Walgreens sells this stoopid display that has the Disney dogs woofing Christmas Carols. Just walking through the store hearing it for a few minutes drives me nuts. I always figured having to work there would turn your brain to liquid.

MAKE HIM LISTEN TO THAT CONTINUOUSLY FOR 90 DAYS!

'Unemployed' has a nice ring to it. 'Felon' is another good one.

Stolen from WSJ:

Life Imitates the Movies
  • "You've proved to me that all this ultra-violence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned my lesson, sir. I see now what I've never seen before. I'm cured, praise God! . . . I see that it's wrong! It's wrong because it's like against society. It's wrong because everybody has the right to live and be happy without being tolchocked and knifed."--Alex de Large (Malcolm McDowell) in "A Clockwork Orange," 1971
  • "First, I want to apologize, you know, for all the things that--that I've done and that I have allowed to happen. . . . I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself to say the least. . . . I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts and, you know, what I did was, what I did was very immature so that means I need to grow up. . . . I feel like we all make mistakes. It's just I made a mistake in using bad judgment and making bad decisions. And you know, those things, you know, just can't happen. Dog fighting is a terrible thing, and I did reject it."--dogfighting conspirator and erstwhile NFL star Michael Vick, Aug. 27, 2007
Riiiighhht... it was a six-year-long mistake of fighting dogs. Mistakes happen, once... twice... perhaps even three times. But, for six years??? :no:

Well posted Scott. Professional Football mgt as moral arbiters in the U.S. ? - I don't think so! They have to be pushed, kicking and screaming, and their motives are transparent. Sometimes they do the right thing for the wrong reasons, though.

The cartoons are frikkin hilarious. :goofy:

Vick Surrenders Early To Serve Sentence

A local Atlanta news station stated Vick hopes starting early will gain him favor for release within a year to return to the NFL.

I certainly hope that won't happen but it wouldn't surprise me to see the NFL let him back in. He's now certainly more qualfied to be a professional athlete. Or, a rapper.

Custody Order

Vick Surrenders Early To Serve Sentence

A local Atlanta news station stated Vick hopes starting early will gain him favor for release within a year to return to the NFL.

I certainly hope that won't happen but it wouldn't surprise me to see the NFL let him back in. He's now certainly more qualfied to be a professional athlete. Or, a rapper.

Custody Order

It won't gain him favor for anything - that's speculation by a "tv lawyer" who doesn't know what he's talking about.

What it will gain him is "credit for time served." Time that you've served pre-sentencing is credited against the sentence imposed. Thus, say you're sentenced to 10 days in jail, but spent two days in jail awaiting trial - you only have to serve 8 days.

I don't know how I feel about the system because it punishes you for being innocent yet not having the money to be able to post bond - if you're convicted, you receieve a benefit (less of a sentence) for staying in jail, but if you're innocent, you receive nothing.

What it will gain him is "credit for time served." Time that you've served pre-sentencing is credited against the sentence imposed. Thus, say you're sentenced to 10 days in jail, but spent two days in jail awaiting trial - you only have to serve 8 days.
Yup. It's not like he has a job right now or anything. Might as well get started now and when his "debt to society" is paid maybe he'll have enough spring left in his step to get a late-season job filling in for some poor team that lost its two quarterbacks to injury.

It won't gain him favor for anything - that's speculation by a "tv lawyer" who doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't know how I feel about the system because it punishes you for being innocent yet not having the money to be able to post bond - if you're convicted, you receieve a benefit (less of a sentence) for staying in jail, but if you're innocent, you receive nothing.

I disagree - to an extent. You've served 2 days in jail. Why would you not count that time served? It was served. Its not a reward to get 2 days less on the final sentence, you served 2 days!

I disagree - to an extent. You've served 2 days in jail. Why would you not count that time served? It was served. Its not a reward to get 2 days less on the final sentence, you served 2 days!

You do count it. It's not a reward perse, just like a tax refund isn't really free money.

Back