Vicious killer snake!

I don't get the hate for snakes. Even the poisonous ones.

I don't get the hate for snakes. Even the poisonous ones.

I don't hate them at all. I'd just kill the venomous ones out of prophylactic self defense. I don't really even fear them. I'm just prudently avoiding a trip to the ER. I even like the good guys, won't pick them up, but I like having them around.

The only living thing I truly hate is cockroaches. I despise them. I loathe them. Their very existence offends me. If I were capable of torturing anything it would be a cockroach. My feelings for cockroaches make my feelings for scorpions look like affection. I cannot abide a cockroach. They are the most loathsome, despicable things on the planet.

I think it comes mostly from fear. I get the fear of venomous snakes, not so much the harmless kind.

I fear[kill] venomous snakes on behalf of my two fearless[idiot] dogs. I catch and relocate all others (mostly because the female dog harasses black snakes into biting her).

My wife has the super duper irrational version of snake phobia. She was behind me as I opened a garage door from the outside and a black rat snake that had been on the top of the door fell on my head/shoulders. She ran like she was Forest Gump. (Full disclosure, there were two people screaming like little girls.) It then, shocked as we were, went in the garage and found its way into the air space between the brick skirting and foundation blocks.

My wife's reaction, and she meant it: "get some gas. We're burning the house down."

Last edited:
I fear[kill] venomous snakes on behalf of my two fearless[idiot] dogs. I catch and relocate all others (mostly because the female dog harasses black snakes into biting her).

My wife has the super duper irrational version of snake phobia. She was behind me as I opened a garage door from the outside and a black rat snake that had been on the top of the door fell on my head/shoulders. She ran like she was Forest Gump. (Full disclosure, there were two people screaming like little girls.) It then, shocked as we were, went in the garage found its way into the air space between the brick skirting and foundation blocks.

My wife's reaction, and she meant it: "get some gas. We're burning the house down."

I know just how she feels only about roaches. I have to scrub any surface a roach touches with bleach and even then I will avoid it for a long time.

I don't hate them at all. I'd just kill the venomous ones out of prophylactic self defense. I don't really even fear them. I'm just prudently avoiding a trip to the ER. I even like the good guys, won't pick them up, but I like having them around.
Agree on all counts. I don't pick up the good ones either, but that's mostly because I don't like getting slathered with their excrement.
The only living thing I truly hate is cockroaches. I despise them. I loathe them. Their very existence offends me. If I were capable of torturing anything it would be a cockroach. My feelings for cockroaches make my feelings for scorpions look like affection. I cannot abide a cockroach. They are the most loathsome, despicable things on the planet.
Despite living most of my life in and around Detroit, I've not seen enough cockroaches to develop a real hatred of them, but I should probably consider myself lucky. The only small (but not microscopic) animal that I'm afraid of is the bat. They terrify me for some very primal reason. And another not so primal reason: they are such prolific carriers of rabies that anyone who wakes up with a bat in their bedroom is advised to undergo the prophylactic rabies shots.

No other animal I can think of gives me such shivers.

Larger animals, another story. I live in black bear country, and yes I'm afraid of bears. Not terrified, but I respect them and have no desire to encounter one on a hike.

Wouldn't be thrilled to encounter a moose either.

Wouldn't be thrilled to encounter a moose either.

In the early 90's when I was on one of my first trips to Yellowstone National Park, I was hiking a trail that had a sharp curve around a hillside. You couldn't see what was on the other side until you'd rounded the corner.

So I rounded the corner, and about 15 feet away from me was a HUGE bull moose just standing there. I started backing away, almost down the hillside because I didn't want to go back along the path I'd come in case he followed me for some reason. Once I was far enough away, he walked over to a clearing where there were several females. I didn't realize at the time how dangerous that probably was, to come between a bull moose and some females, especially if I'd startled him coming around that corner. But he was pretty chill, and just walked on over.

I'll never forget how tall he was. The bottom of his chin seemed to be higher than my head. That was the first time I'd ever encountered a moose in the wild. It was a cool experience, but I'd never want to get that close to one again. They are HUGE animals up close.

Two pages already. Amazing. About ****ng snakes.

image.gif

The only small (but not microscopic) animal that I'm afraid of is the bat. They terrify me for some very primal reason. And another not so primal reason: they are such prolific carriers of rabies that anyone who wakes up with a bat in their bedroom is advised to undergo the prophylactic rabies shots.

I’ve got an interesting bat story. When I was oh, about 14 or 15 and in the Boy Scouts, my troop went for a weekend cave camp out. The cave had a couple of very large main caverns and a whole host of smaller ones branching off. Lots of fun. For my sleeping arrangements, I picked a small little hole branching off from the main cavern and about 20 feet above the floor of the main cavern. It was pretty much just big enough to fit my sleeping bag and equipment. The ceiling was about 6 inches from my head when lying down. Since this branched off from the main cavern, and the main cabern entrance was quite large, daylight filtered in fine.

Anyway, I didn’t bed down till it was around 10:30, and I slept quite well. In the morning, however, I woke up the sunlight filtering in to see two bats, hanging from the ceiling literally right over my face. Guess they were out when I bedded down and came back in after I went to sleep. My moving around woke them up, I think, but they didn’t move as I eased out of my sleeping bag. Just opened their eyes and watched me the whole time. Cute little critters...

Now, Yellow Jackets, yep, those things terrify me. Hate em with a passion. Comes from being stung about 40 times after running over one of their nests while mowing a neighbor’s yard as a teenager.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is that a good thing? Rodent lives matter!
Rodents have been raiding human food since the dawn of time. The word mouse comes from the Latin, Mus, which itself derives from the earlier Sanskrit from Mys, which was their verb "to steal". The Egyptians worshipped cats because they were good mousers.

Rodents have been raiding human food since the dawn of time. The word mouse comes from the Latin, Mus, which itself derives from the earlier Sanskrit from Mys, which was their verb "to steal". The Egyptians worshipped cats because they were good mousers.

I guess you never worked for Disney.

Mouse lives matter!

Back