vibration dampening for panel intercomm?

hindsight2020

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
hindsight2020
Intercomm becomes unusable in anything but engine idle due to static noise when the engine is running. Physically pressing down any portion of the intercomm face or knobs makes it go away. When you relieve the pressure the static comes back. You feel the vibration of the panel creating the problem.

Anybody have any techniques to isolate vibration of the panel from the intercomm installation? I'm looking at perhaps placing some sort of padding material between the panel mount surface and the intercomm mount plate. Perhaps wrapping some dampening material around the intercomm box itself.

Thanks!

How is this not an electrical problem? :confused:

Do you think it's some sort of grounding issue? Seems kind of random if it's solved by applying mechanical pressure against the panel. When the engine is off or running at very low idle, there's no static noise on the intercomm.

No vibration= workie. Vibration= no workie. I just figured I'd tackle the vibration bit.

Do you think it's some sort of grounding issue? Seems kind of random if it's solved by applying mechanical pressure against the panel. When the engine is off or running at very low idle, there's no static noise on the intercomm.

No vibration= workie. Vibration= no workie. I just figured I'd tackle the vibration bit.

So... is the alternator working? Because that sucker is vibrating like a Dr. John's holiday special.

Yes the alternator works. The symptoms are the same whether I'm running with the alternator field engaged or the battery side of the master only engaged. Also, placing pressure solves the problem even if I'm not physically touching the intercomm. Say for example, I merely apply sufficient pressure on the plastic overlay of the panel or place pressure on the altimeter, attenuates the vibration on the panel sufficiently for the static on the intercomm to go away.

Holding my thumb on the panel in order to communicate with the passengers without static becomes quite irritating as you can imagine.

Intercomm becomes unusable in anything but engine idle due to static noise when the engine is running

Nice of you to specify the intercom and the airframe that you are trying to mate it to.

Why do you think we can help you with insufficient information?

Jim/

Back