VFR X-Country With Garmin 430 Simulator

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
Training today at home using the 430 simulator with a virtual flight from John Tune Nashville (KJWN) to Tuscaloosa (KTCL). Will likely make the actual flight there next week for the Bama vs LSU football game.

My fpl is KJWN- KLUG- (V49) DCU - (V49) VUZ - TCL direct. While I plan to file VFR (need IFR IPC) I fly following the V-airways from KLUG until VUZ. This adds ~20 miles to the trip vice KLWN-KTCL direct. For the sake of safety, does it make sense? I guess its one risk tolerance.

But how do you fly? Do you tend to go direct on a ~200nm flight? Or add waypoints like I have done to better track your progress on a sectional, and have reasonably closer diverts if needed.

Thanks for your input in advance

-MF

Last edited:
'risk' of what? 'safer' than what?

D=> and "track your progress" on your gps (the magenta line waypoint). that's my route.

'risk' of what? 'safer' than what?

D=> and "track your progress" on your gps (the magenta line waypoint). that's my route.

I hear ya, but I have been reading pro's and con's of direct route. Direct would be simpler. But once I complete my Instrument IPC I'll fly in the system on X-Countries. Even in my pre-GPS days, seldom was any clearance direct. Has that changed with the commonality of GPS today?

-MF

Last edited:
no, sorry, I didn't see where you said you wanted to practice IFR. if either to practice or 'for the hell of it', go for it. I just didn't see how it was less risky or safer.

Out west it’s direct for most stuff. Even over the mountains...and you will get a SID or STAR if leaving or arriving near/in a Bravo. Dunno how they do stuff around your neck of the woods. Plenty of busy airports around there.

I never bothered much with airways. Sometimes watch bearing and distance from VORs. Mostly just look out the window...

It's important that you consider safety first. It's easy to go direct but if you have an issue what is your way out? Many pilots now days forget about that. A few extra miles can save your life.
Best plan is to have sufficient altitude / distance, between waypoints, to be able to glide / land to the next / previous waypoint if your engine quits.

It's important that you consider safety first. It's easy to go direct but if you have an issue what is your way out? Many pilots now days forget about that. A few extra miles can save your life.
Best plan is to have sufficient altitude / distance, between waypoints, to be able to glide / land to the next / previous waypoint if your engine quits.
What do you fly--a glider? Unless your waypoints are airfields, I don't usually plan on enough height to glide to a waypoint should my engine crap out. VFR, I'll usually go direct and pick some good visual points for pilotage to back up the GPS. I'll only go airways if they happen to be close to my direct course. Gliders going cross country often try to fly within gliding distance of airfields just to preclude their having to land out in a field and have to call home for a trailer to haul them back. In a powered aircraft, I keep track of where airfields are in case I need to divert but I don't go out of my way to pick airfields as waypoints.

Back