VFR to MVFR/IFR on GoPro--would you post it on YouTube?

"This video has been removed by the user." :rofl:

If you don't have cloud clearance, you're in IMC. I'm pretty sure "IFR conditions" means ceiling less than 1000 feet and/or vis less than 3 sm.

From 14 CFR 1.1:

"IFR conditions means weather conditions below the minimum for flight under visual flight rules."

From 14 CFR 1.1:

"IFR conditions means weather conditions below the minimum for flight under visual flight rules."
Yes, that's the FAA's legal definition. I guess I was referring to the flight category, since AFAIK there is no legal definition of MVFR in the FARs - that's also a flight category.

From ADDS:
*By definition, IFR is ceiling less than 1,000 feet AGL and/or visibility less than 3 miles while LIFR is a sub-category of IFR.
+By definition, VFR is ceiling greater than or equal to 3,000 feet AGL and visibility greater than or equal to 5 miles while MVFR is a sub-category of VFR.

Here he is flying into known icing without a FIKI aircraft. Having and IFR rating, this guy should really be much better on the radios as well as do a little better planning on his trips.

***DISCLAIMER*** I jumped to the 12:00 mark and watched a bit, then jumped to the end, but in that timeframe it looked to me like he was 100% vfr the entire time. ran thru some lite rain/mist, but you could see the ground the entire time. then, I'm reading his comment differently than the OP is, I heard him say "this is how you deal with those thing", talking about getting AROUND clouds, or rain cells. to me it didn't seem like he was like 'yeah, whuddup boyeeee, das how u do it!'.

couple other things though:

1) I've watched a few of his videos, his radio work needs a lot of, uh, work. too many "uh, uh, uh's"....stop saying "uh" after every word you speak. I know there's a small language barrier there, but it's gotta get better.

2) Isn't anyone else concerned about that approach into lantana? he's calling 'entering left downind for 9' followed by another guy calling 'entering right downwind for 9', followed by traffic departing rwy9, then the other guy calls 'entering rite base for 9' then he calls 'entering left base for 9', followed by 'TRAFFIC', followed by a helo in rite closed traffic for 9, then the other guy calls final, then he calls final. WTF am I missing with this situation?

3) cole slaw.

How are you 100% VFR when the cloud deck is right above the canopy?:dunno:

How are you 100% VFR when the cloud deck is right above the canopy?:dunno:

You wouldn't be.

Strike everything I said, I'll have to watch the full vid when I have time, which I don't right now.

You wouldn't be.

Strike everything I said, I'll have to watch the full vid when I have time, which I don't right now.

On the deck offshore, he would have been legal, but he was in the IFR buffer zone beneath the clouds the whole time.

I know that people do this and have done it for years before YouTube. But the music.... :vomit:

I know a well respected pilot and mechanic who flies to Oshkosh every year. He often has to climb through layers to avoid getting into scud running scenarios.

When he got back this year, he told me "The weather was great! It was the first year I didn't have to go IMC going up there (from Texas) or coming back!"

I told him "That's a good thing, since you're not instrument rated!"

He pointed a finger at me with a wink, knowingly acknowledging.

Forecast: Clouds with scattered aluminum.

I know a well respected pilot and mechanic who flies to Oshkosh every year. He often has to climb through layers to avoid getting into scud running scenarios.

When he got back this year, he told me "The weather was great! It was the first year I didn't have to go IMC going up there (from Texas) or coming back!"

I told him "That's a good thing, since you're not instrument rated!"

He pointed a finger at me with a wink, knowingly acknowledging.

Forecast: Clouds with scattered aluminum.
Depends on whether he has instrument training and files, or just turns on the A/P and plows on through. The first may not be legal, but might be safe depending on the individual. I wouldn't really lose respect for him if he did that. Not having a piece of paper is between him and the FAA.

The second option... well, I don't want to share airspace with him if that's what he does.

Poor wording on the weather product. VMC/IMC=Conditions. VFR/IFR=Rules of flight. Big difference. You can fly IFR in VMC and IFR in IMC, but VFR in IMC is a no-no. :nono:

But you can fly VFR in actual instrument conditions. VMC/IMC is defined by the VFR cloud clearance/visibilities. Actual instrument conditions is not.

I held up an "MVFR" sign on one of my departures from OSH this year.

But you can fly VFR in actual instrument conditions. VMC/IMC is defined by the VFR cloud clearance/visibilities. Actual instrument conditions is not.

I held up an "MVFR" sign on one of my departures from OSH this year.

Not relevant.

The video in question was obviously closer to clouds than VFR minimums. Too high for Class G (in that area) and nowhere near Class B, so he had to be 500 feet below.

So, he was in IMC. Briefly, also in actual instrument conditions.

Yet more evidence that any idiot can get a PPL :lol:

Not relevant.

The video in question was obviously closer to clouds than VFR minimums. Too high for Class G (in that area) and nowhere near Class B, so he had to be 500 feet below.

So, he was in IMC. Briefly, also in actual instrument conditions.

I was responding to the post I quoted. I already pointed out that I believed he was in the IMC (both in the cloud briefly and too close for much of the rest of time).

This is the same guy who posted his IFR checkride online. Watched it the other day in preparation for my IFR ride coming up.

Back