VFR to IFR flight plan transition question

genna

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
ТУ-104
We were flying on a VFR flight plan yesterday and as we encountered a thin scattered layer on a way to destination a question popped into my mind. If I wanted to get a pop-up IFR clearance from ATC, what would I need to do with my VFR plan and how would I go about doing it?

After all, as far as I know, ATC can't/won't close it. Keeping it open(2 plans now) may create some confusion and I may get routed around long enough to blow my original time estimates. Should i call FSS and close VFR before requesting a pop-up(seems unwise)? Or after I get clearance(seems the most plausible)? Or just tell ATC and they figure it out(would be ideal)?

This is not something that I encounter often since i normally don't file VFR plans, but still curious.

You could call FSS and modify it to IFR if you can reach them or dont do anything with your VFR flight plan and pick up an IFR with ATC. Close out the VFR on arrival or if you can't get a hold of FSS, ATC can close it.

If you have time, ask for a frequency change, and call flight service. Remember 122.2? :)

Beats forgetting to close it. Remember there will be no confusing, ATC had nothing to do with VFR flight plans, and doesn't see em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't do anything with your VFR flight plan. Close it out on arrival. Yes, ATC can close it out but it's not a task they normally do and might not have time for.

And if i'm arriving 1 hour late and they start calling everyone in sight? I'd rather avoid that.

If you have time, ask for a frequency change, and call flight service. Remember 122.2? :)

Beats forgetting to close it. Remember there will be no confusing, ATC had nothing to do with VFR flight plans, and doesn't see em.

Yes, i remember. :) Wasn't that on the list of my choices? So call after I get clearance I guess.

And if i'm arriving 1 hour late and they start calling everyone in sight? I'd rather avoid that.

Your original question has nothing to do with arriving late. But, if you do, then call FSS in the air to modify it.

Your original question has nothing to do with arriving late. But, if you do, then call FSS in the air to modify it.

Perhaps you should read the second paragraph.

However, you and gsengle both answered my question :).

Thanks

Yep, that's the answer sorry if I read too fast. The key thing is to realize how different a thing a VFR versus IFR flight plan is. A VFR flight plan's only purpose is search and rescue for the most part...

And key to understand that flight service and atc are almost totally separate...

My approach:
  • if I expect to be in radar contact the entire route, I don't file a VFR flight plan, and instead get VFR Flight Following.
  • if I will be out of radar contact (e.g. middle of Nevada), I'll Brief/File/Activate... and later Close (in-the-air or on-the-ground) my VFR flight plan via ForeFlight with a cell connection (usually possible even in the wilds).
  • as backup, I also carry a GPS Transmitter (SPOT) that posts my geoloc to a URL that my family watches from home... this URL is also posted in my Lockheed/Leidos profile.
  • if I need a popup IFR clearance of any real complexity (vs a simple IAP clx), I'll also often prep and Brief/File my IFR flight plan in-the-air via ForeFlight with a cell connection.

Back