VFR Routing question

AndrewX

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
Any advice on how to get from KJWN to M34? There's a MOA and a restricted area on the direct route. I would rather not go all the way around. /G

I’d plan it through the Campbell MOA but I’d plan around 3702. The MOA will most likely be Army helos running low level routes and won’t be in your way. 3702 will most likely be Army helos launching live ordnance which won’t allow ATC to authorize entry.

JJWN > DECAV > M34 ?
and get flight following,,you be ok.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone. In summary, it's okay to go through an MOA, just be sure to talk to them along the way.

Thanks for the advice everyone. In summary, it's okay to go through an MOA, just be sure to talk to them along the way.
If you're talking to the controllers (flight following or an IFR plan), they already know if an MAO is hot or not. And will route your accordingly. However if you're getting close to an MOA and are unsure, it's totally cool to ask them if it's okay to proceed or not.

MOA's are NBD especially if you are on FF. I am of the camp of don't be a jerk and fly though just cuz you legally can but I would not hesitate one second to fly though on FF.

There is Active and Inactive...which just means the MOA scheduled hours are open for business then there is Hot and Cold typically meaning in use or not. If "Hot" just ask ATC to help keep ya clear of where they are if needed.

Well technically you don’t need to talk to anyone while VFR. In this case, if going through Campbell MOAs, I’d say it’s a good idea to contact Campbell ARAC prior to entry. If I had to guess, I’d say Campbell is the busiest AAF in the world. You can bet the MOAs and 3701/2 will be pretty active on week days. The fact that it’s encompassed with an alert area says a lot.

Just get FF from BNA and they should be able to affect a handoff to Campbell.

Going around on the "right" side (NE side), you can overfly the Clarksville VOR and continue NW-bound for 17 miles until clear of the MOA. It adds 3 miles to your trip distance compared to DIR.
If the MOAs are cold, you can overfly the Restricted area above 5000ft and you'll be fine, shaving those 3 gruesome miles off your trip. :)

Have fun!

Back