VFR Release Squawk Code?

MSmith

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mark Smith
I just want to confirm something.

If I have an IFR clearance (before takeoff) and I ask for a VFR release (uncontrolled airport), I am supposed to squawk the code given to me as part of the clearance at takeoff.

Right?

MSmith said:
I just want to confirm something.

If I have an IFR clearance (before takeoff) and I ask for a VFR release (uncontrolled airport), I am supposed to squawk the code given to me as part of the clearance at takeoff.

Right?
I wonder if I'm missing something here. If you have an IFR clearance, why would you need a VFR release? If I obtain an IFR clearance, by what ever means, at an uncontrolled field it comes with a void time. I don't need anything else to take off as long as I take off within the limits of the void time and contact approach on the frequency I was given in my clearance. I'm not quite sure what a VFR release has to do with an instrument departure.

At my home airport, an uncontrolled field, the GCO has never worked at anytime that I was departing. So I would either call Flight Service from my cell phone to get my IFR clearance and I would squawk the code given in my clearance, or when conditions were VFR at my airport, I would take off VFR and call the proper ATC facility to pick up my IFR clearance in the air prior to entering IFR conditions. In the later case I would squawk 1200 until I received my IFR clearance as I would have no other code to use.

Jeannie

You can ask for a "VFR Release" on an IFR clearance for uncontrolled airports (you really don't NEED one at a towered airport).

That eliminates all of the Release/Void times. You are going to take off VFR and contact ATC in the air. You don't have to worry about missing the Void time because traffic is busy and you couldn't get off, and you usually don't have to worry about waiting around until your Release time.

When you get airborne, you call ATC and continue on the clearance you have.

At my airport we have a GCO, but it doesn't work very well. We generally get the clearance by calling Clearance Delivery on a cell phone before starting the engine.

If you are at an uncontrolled airport and are trying to depart IFR ATC may not be able to clear you for that because the airspace is in use, e.g. someone on approach, etc. You may then, if able, opt for a VFR release until you get into controlled airspace and then proceed as IFR. You have to ensure that you can maintain VFR to do this. When I have done BTW I have always been squawking my assigned code. Once I entered controlled airspace I call departure and proceed according to my clearence of any new instructions received.

Jean,

If you are at an uncontrolled airport and are trying to depart IFR ATC may not be able to clear you for that because the airspace is in use, e.g. someone on approach, etc. You may then, if able, opt for a VFR release until you get into controlled airspace and then proceed as IFR. You have to ensure that you can maintain VFR to do this.

Mark: When I have done VFR departures I have always been squawking my assigned code. Once I entered controlled airspace I call departure and proceed according to my clearence of any new instructions received.

Seems to me that if you've been assigned a code, its yours to use!

Ok, I get it now. I was not aware of this because I've never heard anyone talk about it before. So this is a case of getting your IFR clearance prior to departure but taking off VFR until you can contact ATC when airborne. It certainly makes sense and would be easier than copying a clearance while flying the airplane. My guess about the squawk code would be that once you have the clearance you would use that code from the start of your flight. Is that the consensus?

Jeannie

Maverick said:
My guess about the squawk code would be that once you have the clearance you would use that code from the start of your flight. Is that the consensus?

Jeannie

That get my endorsement.

Sometimes they do not want you to squawk the assigned IFR code because the system then thinks you're IFR, and if you were held for other traffic, there's a chance the telltale will alarm and the controller will have explaning to do. If you are launching VFR to beat a release delay, ATC should tell you if they want you to squawk something other than your assigned IFR code. And, of course, you want to make darn sure you can get in VMC to where they pick you up and issue you a clearance in flight -- folks have been killed doing stuff like that in marginal conditions -- see this accident for how it happens.

Ron Levy said:
Sometimes they do not want you to squawk the assigned IFR code because the system then thinks you're IFR, and if you were held for other traffic, there's a chance the telltale will alarm and the controller will have explaning to do. If you are launching VFR to beat a release delay, ATC should tell you if they want you to squawk something other than your assigned IFR code. And, of course, you want to make darn sure you can get in VMC to where they pick you up and issue you a clearance in flight -- folks have been killed doing stuff like that in marginal conditions -- see this accident for how it happens.

Fair enough. In our situation, it's usually an instrument training flight IFR under what are clearly VFR conditions, and we want the VFR release so that we don't miss the short release/void window due to other traffic at our crowded little uncontrolled airport.

It's a real pain when you miss your void time because a flight of 7 Citabrias decided to all enter the pattern and land at once (and you're stuck at the threshold waiting). Particularly when you have to use a cell phone to get your clearance.

Back