VFR Rain Weather

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Today looks like a good day to fly. It's raining outside. If today were the day of my pending XC, I would go.

Driving into work, I could see the horizon far in the distance the ceilings were high and the rain was OK.

I dialed into a local AWOS, which revealed (to my recollection)
wind 220/4, 10mi vis, 6500brkn, 9500ovc, alt 30.11, temp/dp @ 7/3.

On second thought:When I called back the vis went down to 5mi, alt 30.00
3500sct, 4800sct, 5500brk, 7500ovc, temp/dp 6/5, wind 210/3.

Few questions:
Based on the information above and changes, if you were VFR only, would you go? If you did, what can you expect?

Also what would the view out of the windscreen look like in -RA conditions?

Today looks like a good day to fly. It's raining outside. If today were the day of my pending XC, I would go.

Driving into work, I could see the horizon far in the distance the ceilings were high and the rain was OK.

I dialed into a local AWOS, which revealed (to my recollection)
wind 220/4, 10mi vis, 6500brkn, 9500ovc, alt 30.11, temp/dp @ 7/3.

On second thought:When I called back the vis went down to 5mi, alt 30.00
3500sct, 4800sct, 5500brk, 7500ovc, temp/dp 6/5, wind 210/3.

Few questions:
Based on the information above and changes, if you were VFR only, would you go? If you did, what can you expect?

Similar conditions here on Long Island. 10sm. Temp/dp spread only 2 degrees. I cancelled my flight for today.

Last edited:
Actually, the rain is intermittent and the sky is patchy right now but I'm not at all comfortable in fog/haze. From the ground it does look tempting but no thanks.

Also what would the view out of the windscreen look like in -RA conditions?

May I suggest you get an instructor and on the proper day fly through some rain showers so you can see and feel the real sight picture... Personnally I love to fly in the rain when conditions meet VFR.:yesnod:. You might as well get that under your belt now because sooner or later in your flying, rain will happen.

Ben.

No worse than the typical Chesapeake Bay summer haze in which I know you've flown.

Yes I have, but there is also a good view of the earth's surface providing some comfort of knowing for sure which way is down. Thanks for the vote of confidence. Much appreciated Ron.

May I suggest you get an instructor and on the proper day fly through some rain showers so you can see and feel the real sight picture... Personnally I love to fly in the rain when conditions meet VFR.:yesnod:. You might as well get that under your belt now because sooner or later in your flying, rain will happen.

Ben.

Yeah, I'll add that to my bucket list.

I flew in some rain on my second solo XC. There were widely scattered showers and my CFI said that generally flying through them was fine as long as I could see clearly all the way through them. I'd flown through some light snow showers with similar criteria with him previously. The sensation of rain is a bit weird. IMHO even light rain feels heavier than it does in a car because you are moving through it at a much higher speed. Obviously no windshield wipers on a 172, but the slipstream at cruise speeds keeps the windshield reasonably clear.

The thing to watch out for is widespread rain and tight temp/dewpoint spreads.

A little rain is not a big deal. Five miles in rain is not a good time (for me), but do-able. The "if you can see through it" rule is a good one, usually.

But based on the scenario given, I wouldn't go: Barometer falling, tight (and shrinking) dewpoint spread, visibilty decreasing, clouds lowering (and new layers forming).The trend seems to be "getting worse before it gets better", and I would never assume the forecast is going to be 100% accurate. When the wx is getting worse, that usually means things will be worse than forecast (in my experience). Some rainy days, you can count on pretty stable VFR conditions... this is not one of those days.

It's not the ceiling that bothers me, it's everything else... but the clouds could indeed get lower than forecast, and the bottoms may not be flat- with precip, I've often seen thick virga and mist extending below the reported ceiling. The rain might also increase... that shower you could see through a moment ago becomes a wall. Ground contact could save you there, but it would not be fun, and you'd very likely get stuck at an alternate airport.

Local AWOS is just one point in space at one point in time. Look at the AWOS from surrounding airports and terminal forecasts. If you have a reasonably consistent 1500 and a few miles that's not bad.

This morning I happened to look at the AWOS in my local area - most were 500-800, 2 - 5 miles, but one (and only one) airport (TTF) was reporting hard core VFR - several thousand feet and good visibility. Driving out to the airport based on that reading would have been a bad idea. I'm sure it didn't last long.

Local AWOS is just one point in space at one point in time. Look at the AWOS from surrounding airports and terminal forecasts. If you have a reasonably consistent 1500 and a few miles that's not bad.

This morning I happened to look at the AWOS in my local area - most were 500-800, 2 - 5 miles, but one (and only one) airport (TTF) was reporting hard core VFR - several thousand feet and good visibility. Driving out to the airport based on that reading would have been a bad idea. I'm sure it didn't last long.

Excellent point because that's exactly what happened at my airport this morning. AWOS reported 10sm but it didn't take long for that to become 4 in light rain. The temp/dp spread stayed constant at 2 degrees.

Obviously no windshield wipers on a 172, but the slipstream at cruise speeds keeps the windshield reasonably clear.

No windshield wiper but one better - a big propeller! :)

As long as the vis is Ok, rain is no big deal. I've not launced into it for reasons others have stated, usually everything is going to crap anyway. However, I have hit it several times coming home, and it was a non-issue. If you fly a Tiger, or Cheetah I suppose one wing will sometimes get a little heavy in the rain. It seems the water catches a bit at the edge of the ailerons. It is not an issue, but I was glad I knew to expect it the first time.

i ran into some rain last summer on my way home from a golf outing and snapped a pic.

034.JPG

Inbound to KORL with a band of solid rain just off the departure end. A go-around would have been VFR but very wet. I squeezed in just before the rain hit, and there was a downpour during my taxi and shutdown.

Attachments

• IMG00009-20101129-1517.jpg
    IMG00009-20101129-1517.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 42
Stop it! I'm at work, and you're posting in-flight pilot's view pictures!!!

O well. At least I can console myself that the work generates the AMUs.

I actually love to fly in rain and snow. Often you see some beautiful clouds, rainbows, etc. in those conditions. Of course you have to know your weather (esp. convection), otherwise rain is fine.

I flew in -RA a few times in C172. Rain itself is not an issue, but if you need to fly a few hundred ft below the rain cloud the turbulence is the deal breaker. It gets pretty jarring and rattling and it's just not a very pleasant experience. Make sure the lap belt is fastened tight, and be ready to catch the headset that flies off your head.

I actually love to fly in rain and snow. Often you see some beautiful clouds, rainbows, etc. in those conditions. Of course you have to know your weather (esp. convection), otherwise rain is fine.

How's the snow?

How's the snow?

It's a little hard to describe. Coming in for landing at dusk in a light snow around Christmas time, with the city below you lit up, snow flakes shining in your landing light, it's just one of those things that reminds you why you love to fly.

You'll just have to try it.

In Florida go around those summer showers...

Attachments

• fly in rain.jpg
    fly in rain.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 33
In AK we fly in rain all the time (or we would never fly lol).

Keeps your aircraft very clean.

Another reason we love the high wing up there. It keeps you out the rain while you load groceries etc.

Usually light rain, not thunderstorms.

-Rob

42a20fd3-9467-152b.jpg

or this one

it was light rain where I was.. visibility was probably below VFR mins in that shower there.. would have lost some paint too.

Lots of VFR constant rain in the northwest where i started flying...not a big deal, just watch the temp / dew spreads & ceilings as others have already mentioned.

Back