VFR radar advisories and class D airports

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
On the way down to the Pier 7 heliport in Baltimore last sunday, one of my partners was flying. We entered the ADIZ at BELAY and the route of flight from there to the Inner Harbor cut a corner of Martin State's airspace. He asked Potomic for a frequency change to contact KMTN, which was granted, and then gave his position. After passing KMTN he got a frequency change approval from them and then reestablished contact with Potomac.

I have always assumed that when you are under the control of TRACON that there was no need to contact class D airports you pass near because it was the job of the radar facility to do that. Am I missing something. or was his call to KMTN unneccessary?

Yes, it is unnecessary unless the radar controller is unable to coordinate and tells you to switch and do it yourself. However, if you do make the request, you can do it yourself, but unless it's a radar tower (which MTN is not), your radar service will be terminated (i.e., no traffic advisories) until you recontact the radar facility on exit from the D-space and the radar controller reidentifies your target.

Back