VFR plane wash

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Had a great flight from DTO to SJT, San Angelo for a Pilots n Paws dog swap for Texas Sporting Breeds Rescue.

Departure was after the thunderstorms had passed. We still enjoyed VFR weather, but occasionally got to pass through some rain showers.

Once, Regional departure called up to advise he was seeing rain immediately ahead of us and said "...you should be passing into it right .... about .... now." Sure enough, we start seeing water streaming up the windscreen.

Landing on RWY 18 @ SJT had a crosswind that reminded me of the Borger trip with 6PC.

Flight back was glass smooth.

First time flying in VFR rain. Kinda fun!

It's worth throttling back a little (or reduce RPM if you have a constant-speed prop) to save the prop leading edges. Rain can eat away at them pretty quickly.

One time I got a free vfr plane wash with freezing rain. It was as refreshing as those techno inspired gum commercials... cleaned my plane too :)

Left my shorts dirty though.

I have yet to experience the plane wash yet! I'm headed to the fly-in in Snyder on Saturday, so we may get a sprinkle or two going or coming home.

One time I got a free vfr plane wash with freezing rain. It was as refreshing as those techno inspired gum commercials... cleaned my plane too :)

Left my shorts dirty though.

Nice job dude, I couldn't hold my laugh in when I read this and woke my wife up... F$#@

I've never understood why flying through rain does such a crap job of cleaning a plane. You'd think water intermittently hitting the plane at 400 mph would blast off any reminants of bugs and goo, but it doesn't. The same bug debris that withstands that will pretty easily wipe off with a rag and maybe some degreaser...weird,

I have yet to experience the plane wash yet! I'm headed to the fly-in in Snyder on Saturday, so we may get a sprinkle or two going or coming home.

Nice job dude, I couldn't hold my laugh in when I read this and woke my wife up... F$#@

My apologies friend :)

It's worth throttling back a little (or reduce RPM if you have a constant-speed prop) to save the prop leading edges. Rain can eat away at them pretty quickly.

+1 had a leading edge separate in the rain ,while IMC. Prop manufacturer recommends throttle back in rain.

Back