VFR panel ideas ??

Kitfox43

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kitfox43
I'm building a Kitfox SS7 and just starting to get some ideas for my panel, which is a ways off yet.
Like most, money is a consideration. I know very little about the so called glass cockpits, however I have thousands of hours IFR and VFR as a professional pilot & CFI on steam gauges. I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles. Here's a list of what I'd like.

Flight instruments.
Engine Instruments
GPS, moving map.
Transponder ADSB out (2020 compliant)
Comm Radio

I'm not interested in IFR, just VFR
I'll be installing a 4 cylinder Cont O-200 engine.

Just curious what you would recommend? Also, what do you think the above equipment would cost?
I can do the installation myself if needed, would like to have a shop do the panel, but I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap, any idea what that cost would be?
One last question, any idea, what a steam gauge comparable panel would cost compared to the above?

Any ideas, comments pros or cons, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

GPS-used GX-50/55/60/65
NAV/COM -used KX155/165
COM2-Flightline 860 round radio
A good tablet running AVARE and a STRATUX ADSB-in
Mount the instruments low and the table high on the panel, maybe even put a cubby hole behind the tablet. Have some USB ports in the cubby hole
T&B-trutrax autopilot
Get an HSI connected to your NAV so you don't need a separate indicator
The Stratus ESG seems like a good ADSB out but Garmin is making a box that fits between a transponder and the antenna that would do the job if you have a separate transponder in mind.

If it's for VFR I would keep it light and simple. Forgo the gyros, find some good used pitot/static round gauges (lots have been ripped out by glass panel converts) and maybe a used engine monitor and round tach. Install a transponder with a built in WAAS GPS (Stratus or Garmin 335/345 - that might be the most expensive thing you have to buy) and use a tablet with an app for your GPS moving map navigator/flight planner. I would probably try to find a good used panel mount comm (King 155 or similar) and use a portable radio as comm2 back-up.

GRT Sport EX EFIS, GRT EIS, Garmin GTR 200 radio, used Garmin GTX 327 transponder. Modern, light, and more capability than you will need for VFR. All of the experimental add on remote ADSB boxes are compatible with the 327. This is what I have and I couldn't be happier. Synthetic Vision, moving map, monitoring all 6 cylinders, EFIS sends frequencies to the Garmin radio, and you don't have to mess with relying on a tablet, all for under $6.5k.

IMG_3048.JPG

GPS-used GX-50/55/60/65
NAV/COM -used KX155/165
COM2-Flightline 860 round radio
A good tablet running AVARE and a STRATUX ADSB-in
Mount the instruments low and the table high on the panel, maybe even put a cubby hole behind the tablet. Have some USB ports in the cubby hole
T&B-trutrax autopilot
Get an HSI connected to your NAV so you don't need a separate indicator
The Stratus ESG seems like a good ADSB out but Garmin is making a box that fits between a transponder and the antenna that would do the job if you have a separate transponder in mind.

Don't even consider this.
1. Due to recent changes at b/k 155 is now unserviceable. No displays available. Same for gx series stuff.

From a new build standpoint, glass is the way to go. Adding up cost of a total steam gauge panel, your right there with basic glass. For a bare bones package you can't beat the legacy dynon systems. Look at the dynon d series.

However, the cost to go it's a full skyview or garmin G3x is not much more. A single screen, single ahrs skyview with engine package, adsb, and autopilot can be had for about 16k. The GPS map system is fantastic for vfr. No need for a tablet.

Bob

I think @unsafervguy has it right.

Find a used Dynon D-180 and you'll be fine. They are showing up more now that people are upgrading to Skyview or G3 touch.

You did say moving map gps.. that's not in the D-180. For my setup I have the D-100 (same as D-180 w/o EMS) and Garmin 696 for moving map. (Obviously a tablet can serve that role if you're so inclined)

You'll likely need an all-in-on transponder too.. Trig makes some great option.

Check out Vansairforce.com. Plenty of ideas about panels there. They probably won't even care you're not building an RV :) :)

I think @unsafervguy has it right.

Find a used Dynon D-180 and you'll be fine. They are showing up more now that people are upgrading to Skyview or G3 touch.

You did say moving map gps.. that's not in the D-180. For my setup I have the D-100 (same as D-180 w/o EMS) and Garmin 696 for moving map. (Obviously a tablet can serve that role if you're so inclined)

You'll likely need an all-in-on transponder too.. Trig makes some great option.

Check out Vansairforce.com. Plenty of ideas about panels there. They probably won't even care you're not building an RV :) :)

Oh yes we will! But we will still welcome him to the forum.

Bob

$16k for a VFR panel? You guys have more disposable cash than I do. Check out GRT, more capabilities for the same price and they don't nickel and dime you on everything. For example GRT includes all color coded wire harnesses at their listed price.

$16k for a VFR panel? You guys have more disposable cash than I do. Check out GRT, more capabilities for the same price and they don't nickel and dime you on everything. For example GRT includes all color coded wire harnesses at their listed price.

It isn't $16k for a VFR panel. It would be approximately $18k for a very nice Garmin VFR panel, with engine monitoring, VFR GPS, ADS-B in/out, transponder, 4 place intercom, radio, autopilot servos, and autopilot controller. That was one of the spec's I priced for my RV-10, inclusive of cables.

Put a VFR GPS flush mounted and hardwired in the center. Its your main system. Round gauge airspeed on one side, round altimeter on other side. Engine monitor, ball and airspeed. Turn Coordinator is optional. One (or two) radios. If you have two you will need an audio panel. ADS-B transponder. Engine gauges. Whatever else is required. 1k for GPS, 1K for airspeed, 1K for altimeter, 1K for radio, 1k for interom, 1k for engine gauges and 1k for wiring and 1k for antennaa, 3k for transponder. Round it up to 12k. Maybe 15 with more goodies. You will need more stuff like circuit breakers, switches, lights and such.

Put a VFR GPS flush mounted and hardwired in the center. Its your main system. Round gauge airspeed on one side, round altimeter on other side. Engine monitor, ball and airspeed. Turn Coordinator is optional. One (or two) radios. If you have two you will need an audio panel. ADS-B transponder. Engine gauges. Whatever else is required. 1k for GPS, 1K for airspeed, 1K for altimeter, 1K for radio, 1k for interom, 1k for engine gauges and 1k for wiring and 1k for antennaa, 3k for transponder. Round it up to 12k. Maybe 15 with more goodies. You will need more stuff like circuit breakers, switches, lights and such.

Something like what you describe I would do if I had such a plane, but it can be done for much less than your estimate I believe (assuming he's going to follow the homebuilt tradition and install it himself):

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1165-5-300-42.aspx

https://www.gulfcoastavionics.com/products/1851-airspeed-indicator.aspx

http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/pm1200

These are just some examples.

It's a Kitfox. A light, simple 2-place taildragger for going into back country strips and fun VFR recreational flying. It does not have a huge useful load, so keeping it simple and light will make it a better flying airplane. Vacuum gyros, glass panels with backup batteries, sheesh, I don't know why anybody would want any of that in such a plane.

Back