VFR Over Canada?

linuxjim

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
JJ
Hello All,
I am VFR and wanting to plan a trip from Chicago to VT. What are the requirements to fly north of Lake Erie and Ontario OVER Canadian air space if I don't plan to stop for the hospitality and maple syrup? Easier to go out of the way and take the south route?

Relatively new, so any opinions on required documentation, route planning, etc would be much appreciated. Thanks.

To overfly Canada VFR without stopping you need to file a VFR flight plan and be on flight following. That's all and it's very easy... U.S. ATC will hand you off to Canada and they will hand you back off to the U.S. controllers when the time comes.

Super simple. I would recommend you bring your passport just in case you do have to land in Canada for some reason (emergency) but other than that, you're good to go with a VFR flight plan and flight following for a VFR overflight.

- Be on an active flight plan (VFR or IFR).
- Be in communication with ATC prior to crossing the border.
- Have an ATC-assigned squawk code (this could be 1200).
- Follow Canada's rules when in Canadian airspace.

There is some discussion as to whether an ICAO flight plan is required. (IIRC, flyingron may have more detail.)

You may or may not be charged for ATC services by NavCanada. (I haven't been yet; even when I've been worked by Canadian ATC (Toronto centre).)

Carry your passport, just in case you land out and want to get back into the US.

No big deal,atc does all the work,just sit back and fly the airplane.

Thanks. Sounds easy enough. Now I'm curious. What is required when I plan to land in Canada?

Thanks. Sounds easy enough. Now I'm curious. What is required when I plan to land in Canada?

http://www.aopa.org/Flight-Planning/Canada

Buy US customs user fee sticker. File vfr or IFR flight plan. File eAPIS departure report. Call Canadian customs 2 hrs prior to arrival. Be on flight plan crossing border and squawking a unique code.

Pay $17 cad quarterly ATC user fee.

To return to US, file eapis arrival report. File canadian VFR/IFR flight plan. Call customs at port of entry at least an hour before landing, notifying arrival time within 15 minutes. Activate flight plan, be on squawk code.

Back