VFR only and ownership

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Flyfeld, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Huckster79

Huckster79 Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Huckster79
    Some good points on the training being useful even not in imc... Ive always said now that Im back into it I want to take a lesson here or there anyway just to sharpen the skills and for the pure enjoyment of learning stuff, I will keep that in mind

2. wayne

wayne Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    wayne
    If you want a plane and can afford it, buy it. Lots of people only fly VFR. Even some with an instrument rating. One guy I was talking to a while back about a partnership had an IR and lots of hours, including military flying. He just didn't fly IFR enough to feel comfortable doing it, so stopped being current years ago and just flies VFR now.

I fly IFR almost all the time. Some of that is weather, some Angel Flight, some I like to be talking with ATC early for airspace; MOA, Restricted and just busy airspace. Flying IFR lets me stay on my planned schedule far better than VFR.

Different strokes for different folks.

3. FlySince9

FlySince9 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jerry
    VFR only and not giving my plane back!

4. Flyfeld

Flyfeld Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyfeld
    I have thank you!!

Eric Stoltz likes this.
  5. C-1 PILOT

C-1 PILOT Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    C-1 PILOT
    So very true Stan, use it or loose it. If you’re not staying current it’s just not worth it and could be dangerous in real IMC.

No IFR for me since selling my twin. The next plane I bought (DA20 C1) was equipped, but not certified. It let me practice and gave me something to do (shoot an approach) rather than burn a hole in the Sky, when I had nowhere to go.

With my LSA, like you, I plan ahead and being retired, if I get stuck...so be it. I’ll wait it out.

Stan Cooper likes this.
  6. Crashnburn

Crashnburn Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Crashnburn
    I plan on getting an IFR equipped plane after I solo in a rented plane, and finish my PPL in it. The type I'm looking at is relatively slow, so having an IFR will help when the weather changes before I make it to the next stop. I also like Wayne's attitude.

7. Clip4

Clip4 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Cli4ord
    If you are not flying for business and not flying XC, do you really want to own an airplane?

8. rbridges

rbridges En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    rbridges
    that's a 100% personal decision IMO. I have a buddy that flies a LOT, and he's vfr only. I have a pretty set work schedule, so I can't afford to be clouded in on Sunday; it wouldn't work for me. I like the idea of having my own plane. It just depends on whether it's worth it to you or not.

9. Flyfeld

Flyfeld Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyfeld
    Yes, will be flying various places including my summer home 110 miles away. No business don't have to be anywhere at a certain time. Flying to my summer place is the same time as driving by the time I get the plane preflight etc. but it is a hell of alot more fun than sitting on I-95 in traffic.

10. Flyfeld

Flyfeld Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyfeld
    Also my summer place is on the Chesapeake Bay which is great place to fly, Cape May is a good example. I would be at Claremont 58M which is walking distance to my place.

Stephen Poole likes this.
  11. FredFenster

FredFenster Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fred Fenster
    Got instrument rated only to find that half the year the clouds are in air temps below freezing, and the other half there's always a thunderstorm hiding somewhere. Maybe someday I'll get a FIKI airplane with onboard radar, until then its VFR!

12. Flyfeld

Flyfeld Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flyfeld
    Good point, the good weather pilot I am would choose not to go regardless of rating.

13. Mooney Fan

Mooney Fan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mooney Fan
    Ditto with others. I'm IR but have a single NAV/COM Cherokee with LOC only capability. But since I have a plane, I'm adding a commercial rating just because. And maybe I can eventually get paid to fly