VFR only airports....IFR plan?

In a true emergency the best a controller could do is vector you for the airport at the MVA. Anything else would be extremely liable for the controller, especially if it doesn't turn out successfully. Maybe the pilot would assume responsibility/liability but I don't think that would get the controller off the hook. I don't know what I'd do if I were still a controller. Be a difficult call for sure.

That is if you're not already in a surface area :)

I don't know why departure in class G is a bigger issue than arrival in class G (which nearly every IFR flight to airports without surfaces areas, even those WITH approaches involves).

The original post was about a VFR only airport. Have you been to any with a surface area of controlled airspace? Do any exist? What would be the reasons for that surface area to exist? Since you are correcting me you MUST know something I dont know..... would you be so kind as to share your knowledge?

You miss my point. My point is not that there are surface areas in approach-less airports, it that the lack of a surface area shouldn't produce a lot of consternation as many airports with approaches don't have surface areas either. In fact, they don't even have controlled airspace all the way down to the MDA/DA. Finishing an approach to an airport in uncontrolled airspace is very common, as is departing from one. The fact that it doesn't have approaches doesn't much change the situation.

What exactly does VFR Only airport mean?
It doesn't actually have a meaning; there's no such thing as a VFR only airport, because one can operate under Instrument Flight Rules at any airport, even if the weather is severe clear.

Back