VFR on top

Stets66

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stets656
If I depart an airport on an overcast day and contact approach and request to go VFR on top, and they say VFR on top approved. Does that mean I am cleared to climb through IMC to get to VFR on top? Or do I need to pick up an IFR clearance?

If I depart an airport on an overcast day and contact approach and request to go VFR on top, and they say VFR on top approved. Does that mean I am cleared to climb through IMC to get to VFR on top? Or do I need to pick up an IFR clearance?

Technically this is a request for an IFR climb to VFR on top and should come with an initial route, a clearance limit, and instructions if not reaching VFR conditions. Once in VFR conditions you can select to cancel IFR if desired. So yes, you should be given some sort of specific clearance.

VFR on top is for aircraft on an IFR flight plan so they need to give you a clearance somewhere, then tell you to climb and report reaching VFR on top. Then either give a tops report or no tops reported. Then, if necessary, to maintain separation from other IFRs, if not on top by (altitude) maintain (altitude) and to advise of your intentions.

So yeah, “VFR on top is approved” is pretty weak.

Last edited:
Not a pertinent question. Ain’t gonna happen. If your serious and wondering what OTP is about and how it works, read above

Go read the difference between VFR on top and VFR over the top.

You’ll never ever get the clearance you said you would.

3F57D55B-C064-4ED9-9A65-BF71120D5160.jpeg

Has to be a troll. This isn’t actually real

Not being a troll. This was a real life experience. I requested a VFR on Top climb to bust through a ceiling so I could get on top and do VFR maneuvers. ATC then said “VFR on top climb approved, if not on top by x altitude, report back and maintain x altitude.

Not being a troll. This was a real life experience. I requested a VFR on Top climb to bust through a ceiling so I could get on top and do VFR maneuvers. ATC then said “VFR on top climb approved, if not on top by x altitude, report back and maintain x altitude.
So let me see if I have this straight...

1) You did it.

...then...

2) You came here, and asked if you could do it???

I would admit to being a troll before admitting I’m a idiot.

Back