VFR night flight question

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
My question is in regard to the exterior lights required for night flight.

I'm flying a C172 that has your standard red/green lights on the wingtips, a red beacon on the tail, a strobe on the belly and the rear facing white position light on the tail. Now as I understood it, the red/green/rear white lights are position lights. If any of the three are out, you are not night legal. Is that correct?

I had a fellow pilot suggest that if the rear pos light is out, the presence of the strobe light would be sufficient to be night legal. That didn't sound right to me and I haven't been able to find anything that would support that.

It was also suggested that the strobe would be able to substitute for an inoperative red beacon light for night flight? His argument was that the beacon and strobe are both anti-collision lights. That didn't sound kosher to me either. You don't typically run the strobe on the ground to avoid blinding other pilots. So how would you use it as a substitute?

From 91.205:
(c) Visual flight rules (night). For VFR flight at night, the following instruments and equipment are required:
(1) Instruments and equipment specified in paragraph (b) of this section.
(2) Approved position lights.
(3) An approved aviation red or aviation white anticollision light system on all U.S.-registered civil aircraft. Anticollision light systems initially installed after August 11, 1971, on aircraft for which a type certificate was issued or applied for before August 11, 1971, must at least meet the anticollision light standards of part 23, 25, 27, or 29 of this chapter, as applicable, that were in effect on August 10, 1971, except that the color may be either aviation red or aviation white. In the event of failure of any light of the anticollision light system, operations with the aircraft may be continued to a stop where repairs or replacement can be made

I've already delayed a few night flights because the rear pos light is still inoperative. I'm not comfortable going out at night with anything less than all available lights working. Also, as a relatively new pilot (110tt), I'm still learning to navigate the FARs. Any info in regards to these questions will be greatly appreciated.

My question is in regard to the exterior lights required for night flight.

I'm flying a C172 that has your standard red/green lights on the wingtips, a red beacon on the tail, a strobe on the belly and the rear facing white position light on the tail. Now as I understood it, the red/green/rear white lights are position lights. If any of the three are out, you are not night legal. Is that correct?

I believe that is correct, but I am admittedly not a FAR maven.

The position lights are not omnidirectional - i.e., they cannot be seen throughout a 360* viewing. This is to permit the viewer to determine your approximate target angle (the relative bearing from target to observer) which gives the observer a clue as to where the target is heading. You can't do that substituting the omnidirectional beacon for a position light.

-Skip

As regards position lights, they are separate and distinct from anti-collision lights, and you need all three working to be legal at night.

On the anti-collision light issue, the flashing beacon will always be a legal anti-collision light. Whether the strobes are or not depends on their design and placement, and this should be addressed in your AFM/POH. If the strobes are certified as anti-collision lights, and you have both strobes and a flashing beacon, then on the anti-collision side, you're good to go an night as long as either works.

The night lighting FAR is 91.209, and the AC on anti-collision lights is 20-30B.

I've already delayed a few night flights because the rear pos light is still inoperative. I'm not comfortable going out at night with anything less than all available lights working. Also, as a relatively new pilot (110tt), I'm still learning to navigate the FARs. Any info in regards to these questions will be greatly appreciated.
This is where I am at with things such as this. I have yet had a situation where flying the plane with anything non functional has been so important as not to scrub the flight. I work on the premise that if something makes me uncomfortable, such as a light not working, I will not fly until it is fixed.

You still have to follow the rules for inoperative stuff even if you have apparently redundant systems. If the beacon bulb is burned out, you can not just hop in and fly away claiming the strobes are an allowable backup. Read 91.213.

This is where I am at with things such as this. I have yet had a situation where flying the plane with anything non functional has been so important as not to scrub the flight. I work on the premise that if something makes me uncomfortable, such as a light not working, I will not fly until it is fixed.
Good advice considering almost every plane crash is a result of a chain of events, and starting out with non-functional equipment is a good/bad way to begin the chain.

Disappointing as it is, I'd have no problem scrubbing a rental if there were non-functioning equipment (that hadn't already been dealt with under 91.213). Most rental places take a dim view of renters disabling or removing equipment, erecting placards, and making log book entries as required by the regs.

Besides, you're paying top dollar for stuff. You ought to at a minimum expect it to be legally operated (even if the average ragged out trainer is in abysmal overall condition in general).

Thanks for posting this Scott. Having just passed my written but starting to study for the checkride/oral, this thread and responses helped me dive into the FARs and try to understand...

Back