VFR Minimum Distance From Clouds G airspace

2) I once asked my CFI the same thing: how do I judge how close I am to the clouds? How do I prove to the DPE on my checkride that I am far enough? He said "Can the DPE prove you're too close?"

Point is: if you can't measure your distance from the clouds, others can't either. Hard to prove you are violating the distance requirements.
In my own case, I like to stay away from the clouds far enough to assume I'm legal and feel safe that I can avoid any aircraft emerging.

One point that I'm not sure was clearly stated earlier in the thread: "Clear of clouds" does not have any minimum distance requirement. In airspace where clear of clouds is the standard, you can fly as close to the clouds as you like, as long as your aircraft does not actually penetrate a cloud.

One other issue is that it was stated earlier that the requirement in class B airspace is clear of clouds. While that's true in the U.S., I'm not sure if that's true in countries that operate under ICAO rules, or whether they have a minimum distance requirement.

So you picked up an IFR clearance before departure.

Where else might an aircraft legally operating VFR clear of clouds encounter an aircraft legally operating IFR popping out of those clouds?
I stated, under a1200 foot class E floor. Also, one of a couple other places class G extends higher that 1200 agl.

I stated, under a1200 foot class E floor. Also, one of a couple other places class G extends higher that 1200 agl.

How would that IFR aircraft get below 1200' AGL? Clear of clouds does not apply above 1200' AGL.

How would that IFR aircraft get below 1200' AGL? Clear of clouds does not apply above 1200' AGL.
Takeoff

Been a while since I've had to worry about cloud clearances. True, 1200agl is the clear of cloud limit.

Sorry to the original poster for going so far off track with a pointless discussion. However, looks like your original questions were answered.

Sorry to the original poster for going so far off track with a pointless discussion. However, looks like your original questions were answered.

No need to apologize, everyone has my permission (even though it isn't needed) as I'm having a great time reading all of the side issues. "What is a cloud?" Was in my thoughts too. As well as "clear of clouds" which got answered but I could think that it could mean no clouds in the sky which seemed very weird even from my little experience where there are usually some clouds :)

A lot of terminology that may seem very obvious to an experienced pilot can seem imprecise to a newbie. So all of this is more than I could have hoped for for this thread, got all my questions answered and more..

I was also thinking about departing. I can depart IFR from a field with a high E floor.
Best to follow the Take-off minimums and ODPs for the departure output in the TERPs, if you are departing into IMC.

Back