Vfr Miami to puerto rico nonstop

Pilottodd1997

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
Hi guys. I am considering ferrying a c172 with turtle pack from mia to puerto rico, nonstop. I understand its a domestic flight in that its nonstop.

1. Is adsb required, providing i stay out of b/c airspace? This bird isnt equipted.

2. Any vfr flight planning or otherwise required, again, domestic flight?

3. Can i just grab flight following and go?

4. Radio license?

I spoke with customs at puerto, they confirmed they arent involved as long as nonstop.

I have all survival gear, and have 3000 hours ferrying all kinds of a/c... just not to puerto rico.

Hi guys. I am considering ferrying a c172 with turtle pack from mia to puerto rico, nonstop. I understand its a domestic flight in that its nonstop.

1. Is adsb required, providing i stay out of b/c airspace? This bird isnt equipted.

2. Any vfr flight planning or otherwise required, again, domestic flight?

3. Can i just grab flight following and go?

4. Radio license?

I spoke with customs at puerto, they confirmed they arent involved as long as nonstop.

I have all survival gear, and have 3000 hours ferrying all kinds of a/c... just not to puerto rico.

It's domestic....

Ok, jest out of the way.

1)Not required in any other way that would be required in the mainland. Meaning, in class E airspace under the control of MIA or SJU controlled sectors, you'll have to stay under 10K. Not a problem in that sector, but you'll have some radio reception issues when below around 8k. Some sectors you will be on your own wrt radar contact.

2) Two ways of doing it. If VFR it will require a DVFR for the ADIZ outbound portion. If IFR, then it's as simple as flying internally across the mainland. Literally that easy. You'll be in MIA and SJU control sectors the entire way, unless you vector south into Nassau, and a short stint with Provo if low enough.

3) See #2.

4) Nope. Though I'm surprised a seasoned ferry pilot doesn't have it in his electronic record as a matter of course.

Enjoy the trip. Excellent leg (I wish I lived in the east coast and had a long legged airplane so I could do it affordably more than once a decade), and the views below 10K are the best. Time of year for this trip honestly would have been the spring. Now, things are a bit convective out in the Atlantic, so make sure the 7 day forecast doesn't have anything brewing in the North Equatorial Current sector, that might make ya hunker down for weeks in PR (we have this thing called Huracán which tends to keep the fairweather fans away :D)

cheers!

ETA: Personally, just call MIA and ask for an exemption on the basis of ferrying the aircraft, in case you need above 10K for weather. In reality this AdSB-out nonsense is all to do about nothing in the real world outside of highly trafficked areas. Most of these sectors are busy with bigger fish to fry. I bet nobody will give a ---t from Miami to Isla Grande. Enjoy the trip.

It's domestic....

Ok, jest out of the way.

1)Not required in any other way that would be required in the mainland. Meaning, in class E airspace under the control of MIA or SJU controlled sectors, you'll have to stay under 10K. Not a problem in that sector, but you'll have some radio reception issues when below around 8k. Some sectors you will be on your own wrt radar contact.

2) Two ways of doing it. If VFR it will require a DVFR for the ADIZ outbound portion. If IFR, then it's as simple as flying internally across the mainland. Literally that easy. You'll be in MIA and SJU control sectors the entire way, unless you vector south into Nassau, and a short stint with Provo if low enough.

3) See #2.

4) Nope. Though I'm surprised a seasoned ferry pilot doesn't have it in his electronic record as a matter of course.

Enjoy the trip. Excellent leg (I wish I lived in the east coast and had a long legged airplane so I could do it affordably more than once a decade), and the views below 10K are the best. Time of year for this trip honestly would have been the spring. Now, things are a bit convective out in the Atlantic, so make sure the 7 day forecast doesn't have anything brewing in the North Equatorial Current sector, that might make ya hunker down for weeks in PR (we have this thing called Huracán which tends to keep the fairweather fans away :D)

cheers!

ETA: Personally, just call MIA and ask for an exemption on the basis of ferrying the aircraft, in case you need above 10K for weather. In reality this AdSB-out nonsense is all to do about nothing in the real world outside of highly trafficked areas. Most of these sectors are busy with bigger fish to fry. I bet nobody will give a ---t from Miami to Isla Grande. Enjoy the trip.

Thanks a lot. Ill post some photos along the way when i get home. I likely had a radio license 20 years ago, but who knows now. Most of my time is west coast. Looking forward to this. Easiest to file dvfr with 800wx?

Thanks a lot

Sounds like you’re very aware, but keep in mind that if you divert, it is no longer a domestic flight. Most critically, be prepared to do the APIS filing and you should have the customs sticker. The fine for improperly entering customs is 5k. Ask one of my old flight instructors how he knows.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definately do
that. Would turn things a tad ugly. The owner will need to address the sticker. I did find my radio license.

On filing my dvfr plan for the adiz, can i just do that with 800wxbrief? Am looking at foreflight and must be missing something.

Being vfr, and knowing i may be out of radio contact due to altitude, any special precautions?

Can i cancel my flight plan after crossing the adiz? Refile prior to entering PR?

Thanks.

It's domestic....

Ok, jest out of the way.

3) See #2.

cheers!

I think an exemption will be needed for the first part of the flight regardless of altitude until clear of the MIA Mode C Veil

I cannot answer the dvfr questions myself as I've never done it, but hopefully someone can chime in.

I'm reminded of Murphy's Law, which states that the best way to get correct information on the Internet is to post something intentionally wrong and wait for someone to correct it.

I cannot answer the dvfr questions myself as I've never done it, but hopefully someone can chime in.

I'm reminded of Murphy's Law, which states that the best way to get correct information on the Internet is to post something intentionally wrong and wait for someone to correct it.
?? To intentionally post wrong would require knowing what is right

?? To intentionally post wrong would require knowing what is right

Not necessarily.

I know the capital of Alaska isn't Tallahassee, but can't remember that it's Anchorage, so I can just say the capital is Tallahassee knowing someone will chime in that it's Anchorage.

Not necessarily.

I know the capital of Alaska isn't Tallahassee, but can't remember that it's Anchorage, so I can just say the capital is Tallahassee knowing someone will chime in that it's Anchorage.
How did you know that they would chime in with Anchorage?:idea: But yeah, I get the point

The Anchorage thing was a troll. Figured someone would be quicker to say I'm stupid, how could I not know it's Fairbanks?!?!?

The Anchorage thing was a troll. Figured someone would be quicker to say I'm stupid, how could I not know it's Fairbanks?!?!?

Because it’s Seattle

But here's the problem with the whole theory. The capital of Alaska is not Fairbanks or Anchorage, it's Juno [sic].

While we are in this this part of the world, any dominican republic flyers here? I am.going to bring a cirrus sr20 back to florida as it turns out, most likely. Going to go to puerto plata for a day. Then considered flying montecristo MDMC. Anybody know local flight rules to fly into mdmc? Cant find much online. I knoe the dr entry part, been several years, but flying flying N# aircraft domestically inside to non controlled fields, any guess?

Take care guys. And we all know the capital of DR is columbia, right??

While we are in this this part of the world, any dominican republic flyers here? I am.going to bring a cirrus sr20 back to florida as it turns out, most likely. Going to go to puerto plata for a day. Then considered flying montecristo MDMC. Anybody know local flight rules to fly into mdmc? Cant find much online. I knoe the dr entry part, been several years, but flying flying N# aircraft domestically inside to non controlled fields, any guess?

Take care guys. And we all know the capital of DR is columbia, right??

You are ferrying a DR registered airplane back to the US?

No. Its usa reg. Another ebay sale.... picking up same time i drop off the 172. Will be awesome flights both ways. Delivering it to colorado.

If it's spent considerable time in the DR, and even worse has been maintained there, I wouldn't touch it.

There's a reason why airplanes go to the Caribbean to die.

If it's spent considerable time in the DR, and even worse has been maintained there, I wouldn't touch it.

There's a reason why airplanes go to the Caribbean to die.
Thats a fact! Been there many times. This is a puerto rican cirrus.... that grew up in florida till recently. (It wanted to become a sr22, but alas only became a sr20)

I live in PR and fly a bonanza. I can get from here to Miami nonstop, but cant go the other way without a stop due to headwinds. if you are VFR, make sure you are able to be tracked. My wife and I flew up to KHWO a bout 6 weeks ago, and my transponder (and thus ADS-b) crapped the bed. I had to terminate radar services with ZSU, and ZMA does not have primary radar in the bahamas. So we putted along for about 5 hours not talking to anybody (Not illegal, but not advised). we got flight following with miami approach about 20 miles off the coast to get into North Perry, and when we landed, we were told to stay in the plane. then we got to deal with Pembroke Pines' finest for about an hour while they determined the flight was legal, we werent smuggling anything, and yes, the business end of a rifle will give my wife a panic attack. I had filed and activated a DVFR flight plan, but that wasnt enough to save us the hassle. stopping at an AOE would have.

As was said above, you will be talking to Miami center, then Nassau approach, then Miami again, then us at San Juan Center. there will be a frequency dead spot around the ZMA/ZSU boundary. just wait until you can hear the next controller to call. If you end up stopping and need to clear customs, Aguadilla Customs (TJBQ) is fine. Isla Grande (TJIG) is great, although I may be biased as Im based there and have dealt with them a few times. you may have to fill out the travel Safe form online. https://www.travelsafe.pr.gov/ might be worth knocking that out before you arrive so you can get in and out with the national guard. I have cleared customs and not had them ask for it, and I have cleared and been told to go see the guardsman. it doesnt seem consistent.

Any questions, let me know. Pilot and ATC

I live in PR and fly a bonanza. I can get from here to Miami nonstop, but cant go the other way without a stop due to headwinds. if you are VFR, make sure you are able to be tracked. My wife and I flew up to KHWO a bout 6 weeks ago, and my transponder (and thus ADS-b) crapped the bed. I had to terminate radar services with ZSU, and ZMA does not have primary radar in the bahamas. So we putted along for about 5 hours not talking to anybody (Not illegal, but not advised). we got flight following with miami approach about 20 miles off the coast to get into North Perry, and when we landed, we were told to stay in the plane. then we got to deal with Pembroke Pines' finest for about an hour while they determined the flight was legal, we werent smuggling anything, and yes, the business end of a rifle will give my wife a panic attack. I had filed and activated a DVFR flight plan, but that wasnt enough to save us the hassle. stopping at an AOE would have.

As was said above, you will be talking to Miami center, then Nassau approach, then Miami again, then us at San Juan Center. there will be a frequency dead spot around the ZMA/ZSU boundary. just wait until you can hear the next controller to call. If you end up stopping and need to clear customs, Aguadilla Customs (TJBQ) is fine. Isla Grande (TJIG) is great, although I may be biased as Im based there and have dealt with them a few times. you may have to fill out the travel Safe form online. https://www.travelsafe.pr.gov/ might be worth knocking that out before you arrive so you can get in and out with the national guard. I have cleared customs and not had them ask for it, and I have cleared and been told to go see the guardsman. it doesnt seem consistent.

Wonderful answer. Thank you tons! Great feedback.

On my TO Puerto Rico, what can you tell me?

Ill have no fuel issues, barring a hurricane, which it wouldnt matter anyway, or something else traumatic ...lol. ill have a turtle pack with a total of 100 gallons.

I intend to file the dvfr and probably 7500 feet, much higher the winds drastically increase, at least as of normal.

They want it delivered to TJMZ. I intend nonstop, but if situations arise, ill do whatever needed of course.

Simple direct flight? Owner is having adsb installed now, thats helpful.

Thanks

You answered most of my questions already. Sorry about that. Anyway, i feel good about adsb upgrade, and it has a great autopilot too.

Only questions are that of TJMZ, just a domestic airport, easy, normal?

Take care

Regarding filing DVFR with ForeFlight: I've done it successfully dozens of times. Here are the steps:
  • for your Aircraft, make sure the Filings section is complete with the appropriate ICAO codes
  • on the Flights tab, make a "Flight" (or send from the Maps tab to Flights) as you normally would
  • in the Route section, Flight Rules = DVFR
That's all it takes.
Enjoy the trip!
Wayne

Yes, Mayagüez is just your run of the mill untowered field. A stone's throw drive wise from Borinquen in Aguadilla. (TJBQ/BQN).

The issue though is only related to the covid paradigm, which continues to linger, and so you still have to deal with this NOTAM:

07/014 (A0150/21) - AD AP ALL GA ACFT, CHARTER OR PRIVATE FLTS ARR FM CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES MUST
LAND AT SJU, SIG, BQN, VQS FOR HEALTH INSPECTION BEFORE PROCEEDING TO MAZ EXC
CARGO FLT. 09 JUL 18:52 2021 UNTIL 30 SEP 23:59 2021. CREATED: 09 JUL 18:52 2021

In addition, you have the travel health declaration NOTAMs for Isla Grande, which currently is missing from the NOTAMS section of BQN and MAZ:

06/028 - AD AP ALL INTL FLTS MUST FILE ONLINE TRAVEL DECLARATION AT APP.TRAVELSAFE.PR.GOV
WITH HEALTH RESULTS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO SIG AS A FINAL DESTINATION. 03 JUN 23:17
2021 UNTIL 30 SEP 23:30 2021. CREATED: 03 JUN 23:24 2021

06/027 - AD AP ALL GA ACFT, CHARTER OR PRIVATE FLTS ARR FM CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES MUST
FILE ONLINE TRAVEL DECLARATION AT APP.TRAVELSAFE.PR.GOV WITH HEALTH RESULTS BEFORE
PROCEEDING TO SIG AS A FINAL DESTINATION. 03 JUN 23:15 2021 UNTIL 30 SEP 23:30
2021. CREATED: 03 JUN 23:24 2021

Make of that what you will. The reality is that on a domestic basis, it's a mixed bag wrt getting someone to ask for your health declaration QR code, since the National Guard people are basically clustered in SJU. When I flew to BQN in the middle of the pre-delta pandemic earlier this year, other than clearing customs (had to, don't have the range to do domestic non-stop), nobody asked for my health declaration, either in BQN (my AOE) nor at SIG (my final destination). So results are mixed.

Based on the NOTAM, you're probably advised to land at BQN first, then hop over to TJMZ. You certainly could go direct to TJMZ per the FAA regs, but then you're gambling the petty functionaries on the state health dept side take exception with the perception of going around them by not landing in BQN first.

You answered most of my questions already. Sorry about that. Anyway, i feel good about adsb upgrade, and it has a great autopilot too.

Only questions are that of TJMZ, just a domestic airport, easy, normal?

Take care

Like @hindsight2020 mentioned, per notam, you arent supposed to fly from the states directly to TJMZ. you can probably get away with going direct, but thats a risk only you can decide is worth it. ATC doesnt enforce those notams (Hell, most of us probably dont know they exist), and I would be surprised if there is anyone at MAZ to ask you where you came from. Mayaguez is a little odd... its a small, quiet airport, but they have regular Cape Air flights, and a terminal building that looks like you shouldnt just walk inside. Ive only landed there once... One time to bring a battery to a friend, where I actually did go inside, and the other time, I landed, checked something under the cowl, and got out of there. If you decide to stop at TJBQ, I recommend WASCO (Western Aviation). they are a decent FBO, if not the quickest when it comes to getting someone out to fuel you up... I have no experience with the other FBO(Copeca Jet Center).

Like @hindsight2020 mentioned, per notam, you arent supposed to fly from the states directly to TJMZ. you can probably get away with going direct, but thats a risk only you can decide is worth it. ATC doesnt enforce those notams (Hell, most of us probably dont know they exist), and I would be surprised if there is anyone at MAZ to ask you where you came from. Mayaguez is a little odd... its a small, quiet airport, but they have regular Cape Air flights, and a terminal building that looks like you shouldnt just walk inside. Ive only landed there once... One time to bring a battery to a friend, where I actually did go inside, and the other time, I landed, checked something under the cowl, and got out of there. If you decide to stop at TJBQ, I recommend WASCO (Western Aviation). they are a decent FBO, if not the quickest when it comes to getting someone out to fuel you up... I have no experience with the other FBO(Copeca Jet Center).

Okay. Yes, TJBQ better all the way around, ill just hop over after check in. Ill check WASCO out for sure, thanks for the tip. Is there any documentation theyll require when i arrive, assuming nonstop or just same as any fbo here stateside?

Than

Yes, Mayagüez is just your run of the mill untowered field. A stone's throw drive wise from Borinquen in Aguadilla. (TJBQ/BQN).

The issue though is only related to the covid paradigm, which continues to linger, and so you still have to deal with this NOTAM:

07/014 (A0150/21) - AD AP ALL GA ACFT, CHARTER OR PRIVATE FLTS ARR FM CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES MUST
LAND AT SJU, SIG, BQN, VQS FOR HEALTH INSPECTION BEFORE PROCEEDING TO MAZ EXC
CARGO FLT. 09 JUL 18:52 2021 UNTIL 30 SEP 23:59 2021. CREATED: 09 JUL 18:52 2021

In addition, you have the travel health declaration NOTAMs for Isla Grande, which currently is missing from the NOTAMS section of BQN and MAZ:

06/028 - AD AP ALL INTL FLTS MUST FILE ONLINE TRAVEL DECLARATION AT APP.TRAVELSAFE.PR.GOV
WITH HEALTH RESULTS BEFORE PROCEEDING TO SIG AS A FINAL DESTINATION. 03 JUN 23:17
2021 UNTIL 30 SEP 23:30 2021. CREATED: 03 JUN 23:24 2021

06/027 - AD AP ALL GA ACFT, CHARTER OR PRIVATE FLTS ARR FM CONTINENTAL UNITED STATES MUST
FILE ONLINE TRAVEL DECLARATION AT APP.TRAVELSAFE.PR.GOV WITH HEALTH RESULTS BEFORE
PROCEEDING TO SIG AS A FINAL DESTINATION. 03 JUN 23:15 2021 UNTIL 30 SEP 23:30
2021. CREATED: 03 JUN 23:24 2021

Make of that what you will. The reality is that on a domestic basis, it's a mixed bag wrt getting someone to ask for your health declaration QR code, since the National Guard people are basically clustered in SJU. When I flew to BQN in the middle of the pre-delta pandemic earlier this year, other than clearing customs (had to, don't have the range to do domestic non-stop), nobody asked for my health declaration, either in BQN (my AOE) nor at SIG (my final destination). So results are mixed.

Based on the NOTAM, you're probably advised to land at BQN first, then hop over to TJMZ. You certainly could go direct to TJMZ per the FAA regs, but then you're gambling the petty functionaries on the state health dept side take exception with the perception of going around them by not landing in BQN first.

Thank you tons!!

Okay. Yes, TJBQ better all the way around, ill just hop over after check in. Ill check WASCO out for sure, thanks for the tip. Is there any documentation theyll require when i arrive, assuming nonstop or just same as any fbo here stateside?

Than
as far as I know, they will only ask for the Travel Safe QR code. a quick phone call might clear up any questions about what the FBO will require. 787-890-2323

I can't speak for COPECA, but WASCO certainly had nobody on "lookout" for GA arrivals wrt department of health mandate (Departamento de Salud) compliance, at least as of April 2021. In fairness, that was the month where PR started allowing 121 pax traffic to land at BQN again without a prior stop at SJU. Previous to April 2021, they were limiting initial arrival pax 121 traffic to SJU only, in order to funnel the mandate screening through a single pipe, the SJU terminal under National Guard enforcement in this case. I can't speak to what footprint they have at the BQN terminal now that 121 initial arrivals are allowed again to Borínquen.

This is a PR Dept of Health mandate being implemented at the direction of the Governor's Executive authority, just like any US state. I'm not at all suggesting not doing the health declaration before going (according to Executive order 2021-37, the penalty for scoffing the travel declaration and/or any other portion of the compliance elements of the travel mandate, can incur a $5K and/or 6 month prison sentence). I'm just saying that compliance is low and has continued to be low because the majority of emphasis is placed on the part 121 side of the house, which was limited to SJU. So nobody is paying attention to part 91 piston, or at least they weren't when I did my trip.

Additionally, the mandate has changed. When I flew in, they were not making an exception to the 72 hour testing mandate for those who were vaccinated (which I was, and was initiating my travel precisely due to completing my second shot). Now, you don't have to incur the testing kabuki if you are vaccinated. So that provides more flexibility now. Also, see section 6 of the Governor's mandate (I've attached the English version, for the benefit of the Anglo crowd here) for exemption to the mandate outright, if your travel and exit from the Territory takes less than 72 hours.

My guess is nobody at WASCO is paying attention to you walking out the FBO door and into Ramey proper or wherever you end up going, as a domestic part 91 initial arrival. Even when I went in having to clear customs due to the bahamas technical stop, (aka a 'visible' arrival from the purview of the feds, which that airport is riddled with) nobody at US Customs alerted anybody from the state govt side to ask me about the travel declaration. WASCO was a ghost town and only 'busy' with their usual cargo customers and the odd end 172 doing flight training. Out of sight out of mind.

I still think you should have your travel declaration filled out just in case. The executive order states they'd simply make you fill one out on the spot and take a PCR within 48 hours, but you're getting slapped with a $300 fine for getting caught showing up without a vaccination card or negative PCR test. Given all that, I wouldn't chance it, even though I'm willing to bet you too could end up falling through the cracks like I did as a part 91 arrival.

Attachments

• OE-2021-037 ENG.pdf
    213 KB · Views: 3
Back