VFR into KSNA next week?

PoAdeleted5

Deleted by User Request
I'm planning a trip to Irvine next week and planning to fly into John Wayne (KSNA).

But I've been watching the weather and with metar's that usually read:

KSNA 160253Z 21006KT 8SM SCT009 OVC013 18/14 A2990 RMK AO2 SLP126 T01780144 53005=

I'm wondering if maybe I ought to just drive from San Jose.

Any locals with comments on the June gloom?

If you've only got VFR as an option, SNA might be a bit tricky. The marine layer has been pretty variable for the last couple weeks. Some days not so bad, others, not good at all, with only small windows of VFR in some parts of the basin, and not much VFR at the coast (mid-late afternoon arrivals ~3pm are your best chance).

Drive from SJC? You're kidding, right? I swear I'll never do that again. I hate, hate, hate that drive. By a refundable fare for a Southwest or AA cattle car seat SJC-SNA. Couple hundred and change r/t. If it looks like you be able to go VFR, cancel the reservation, otherwise, go commercial, or if you think want to chance it, head south and see if you can get into Fullerton, Corona, Long Beach, El Monte, Ontario... wherever, get a car and drive the rest of the way to Irvine. Might not save much time vs. commercial if you can't get into SNA, but it's better than flying commercial, and less time, and certainly more relaxing than driving the whole way.

Jeff

I second on nixing the drive from SJ to Orange County. The marine layer will be around for a while and probably deepen over the next week thanks to the eddy reforming in the SoCal bight. I've been watching a low move down the coast but I doubt that will have any positive effect. Plan your arrival around mid-aftn, if you can't get in goto your alternate. VFR w/an alternate, hmmm....

Is your bird IFR capable? Why not grab a local CFI to shoot the approach for you? A single guy who doesn't need to back anytime soon and doesn't need much to survive. They're all working for peanuts anyhow, he'd probably love the chance to get out of the pattern.

Last edited:
you can always land at button willow if you run into weather.

Michael said:
you can always land at button willow if you run into weather.

It would be rare for Ontario, San Bernardino, or one of the other of several "inland empire" fields to not get to at least MVFR for part of the day. Be very careful mucking about in the LA Basin MVFR though, especially if you're not familiar with the area and/or don't have a GPS w/moving map. Get flight following. Too much airspace to bust and aluminum to meet.

If you head south and get to the Tejon (I-5) Pass and realize you're not going to get in near the coast, come through the pass and turn east and follow the south side of the San Gabriel Mountains to get to the inland airports. If you stay above 3-4K, visibility should be reasonable. Also, don't forget to have plenty of fuel to make your alternates!

Jeff

I work a few miles from the coast in San Diego. I haven't seen the sky in several weeks. Ten to fifteen miles inland it has been clearing up pretty good. Keep an eye on Fullerton. It's the closest and more likely to clear up.

larrysb said:
I'm planning a trip to Irvine next week and planning to fly into John Wayne (KSNA).

But I've been watching the weather and with metar's that usually read:

KSNA 160253Z 21006KT 8SM SCT009 OVC013 18/14 A2990 RMK AO2 SLP126 T01780144 53005=

I'm wondering if maybe I ought to just drive from San Jose.

Any locals with comments on the June gloom?

I work about 6 miles south of KSNA and it usually gets to 1500 SCT around
2:00pm. There have been about 3 or 4 days in the last 2 weeks that
the best it gets is BKN. There have also been a couple of days that it
cleared up around Noon. I would say the odds are against VFR.

greg

jkaduk said:
I work a few miles from the coast in San Diego. I haven't seen the sky in several weeks. Ten to fifteen miles inland it has been clearing up pretty good. Keep an eye on Fullerton. It's the closest and more likely to clear up.

I agree that FUL is your best alternate if you can get in/out VFR. Not sure how long you're sticking around - you may not be able to get out any easier than getting in.

If you do go into FUL, fuel up and tiedown with AFI, just west of the tower/terminal. Great folks, and they can hook you up with an Enterprise rental car.

Jeff

Back