VFR in Oahu

wilkersk

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
KennyW
Are there any local VFR transition routes through the Honolulu class "B" surface area? I don't see anything published. If I want to go from Kalaeloa to Molokai VFR, what is the usual route?

Anyone here rented from Barbers Point Aviation? How long did it take you to get checked out?

The Honolulu Inset on the Hawaiian Sectional shows a VFR transition route just to the north of PHNL.

The Honolulu Inset on the Hawaiian Sectional shows a VFR transition route just to the north of PHNL.

On Skyvector, I see "Suggested VFR Procedures" identified by broad arrows. But, not a published VFR transition route with altitudes and frequencies. Was hoping someone on POA had some local knowledge.

Anyone here rented from Barbers Point Aviation? How long did it take you to get checked out?

I took a lesson from Moore Air while in Honolulu. I enjoyed that experience.

I could have become checked out in their 172, but I decided that it was just all too difficult: the airspace around Honolulu is complicated with the busy airport near the mountains, there's a very narrow space where you can fly VFR near the city, and you might be asked to orbit in a particular place above a highway near a mountain with clouds coming and going that make VFR debatable, and a rental car is necessary to get from the office out to the tie-down area.

But as a sightseeing experience with an instructor aboard, I really enjoyed it.

On Skyvector, I see "Suggested VFR Procedures" identified by broad arrows. But, not a published VFR transition route with altitudes and frequencies. Was hoping someone on POA had some local knowledge.
Who was that guy who was selling AOA's? He was from Hawaii. Ya may try callin approach and say "I wanna do this 'Suggested VFR Procedure' thing that's on the TAC Chart" and see what they say. To do the one just North of the airport you are for sure going to need a clearance. The others are going to need you lower than you may wanna be without a clearance. Let us know what you find out.

Back