VFR ground clearance

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
Is it possible to get VFR Class Bravo clearance from the ground by calling on the phone when departing from a non-towered class E airport?

Sure, call approach on the radio. They can clear you right into the Bravo.

OT, but I recently learned that you can get your SFRA squawk over the phone, too.

Is it possible to get VFR Class Bravo clearance from the ground by calling on the phone when departing from a non-towered class E airport?

Normally you can get such clearance however you choose to contact them. My question is why use the phone? No radio reception?

Depends on the facility. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.
Back before the SFRA, you could NEVER get one on the ground from HEF tower.
They'd authorize a frequency change as soon as you broke ground though.

Last edited:
Normally you can get such clearance however you choose to contact them. My question is why use the phone? No radio reception?

I have to call for squawk on phone anyhow. SFRA procedure.

Huh. I always just called potomac clearance during the runup to get the squawk.

Why not just get flight following as soon as you take off and then request Bravo clearance?

Why not just get flight following as soon as you take off and then request Bravo clearance?

That's what I normally do but it's not always easy. When your taking off from a class D airport under Bravo you end up having to do a lot of talking right after take off in order to get the clearance. It's just easier to get all the stuff done on the ground if you can, just like you would normally want to tune in the departure frequency when your still on the ground and not wait until your airborne.

That's what I normally do but it's not always easy. When your taking off from a class D airport under Bravo you end up having to do a lot of talking right after take off in order to get the clearance. It's just easier to get all the stuff done on the ground if you can, just like you would normally want to tune in the departure frequency when your still on the ground and not wait until your airborne.

Yeah I agree and I would do that too in that instance but the OP was departing a non towered Class E airport. Unless it's directly under Bravo airspace there should be plenty of time to work that out.

Yeah I agree and I would do that too in that instance but the OP was departing a non towered Class E airport. Unless it's directly under Bravo airspace there should be plenty of time to work that out.

I assumed he was talking about an airport under Bravo (should have used a Class E airport in my example).

KLDJ is a great example of an airport where you would want to get your clearance before taking off.

So your question is really "Can I get a Bravo clearance when I call to get the SFRA squawk?"

I have no experience with SFRA other than taking the course because I skirted the 60nm ring (oh no, my 177RG is limited to 230 knots indicated!). I do know that Nashua tower will get you a squawk on the ground but cannot issue a bravo clearance. I think even the first TRACON controller you talk to cannot issue the bravo clearance, they will give it after the first handoff.

Ah, not all that familiar with them and what they will/won't do on that phone number. I guess best thing to do is just try and see if they will.

No, you wouldn't be able to get it via telephone unless you were to be given a clearance void time, like an IFR release. They're holding airspace open for you, so VFR, they need radar verification before issuing the clearance.

I've tried to even arrange VFR flight following when getting my FRZ squawk code, and generally they'll tell me to just tell the controller...no pre-takeoff coordination offered. It seems it would be easier to give them my destination, VFR altitude, etc. Over the phone rather than on the air, after a frequency change or two.

What Brad said. The people at that little private field inside the Dulles surface area just west of IAD have to call Dulles Tower on the radio before takeoff. Fortunately, the Tower is tall enough they can see that little airport and give them their clearance into the B-space and there's line-of-sight for the antenna on the roof.

Sure, call approach on the radio. They can clear you right into the Bravo.

That used to not work at VGT when the tower was closed. Too many hotels between LAS and VGT that they block the line of sight for the radio.

We got LAS TRACON to monitor VGT clr delivery freq after the tower closed, so now we can get IFR and Class B departures before takeoff.

You can dept VGT VFR and remain clear of the Class B, but it's nicer if they know you are coming. Lots of tall ground surrounding the valley.

Last edited:
Back