VFR Flight Training Exercises

godfreypilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
godfreypilot
Hey all,

I am an instrument-rated private pilot with about 250 hours, almost all in an archer. Over the last year I've been flying IFR pretty much exclusively (most of my flights are doing practice approaches or flying in the system). I took a couple friends on a sightseeing flight the other week (my first VFR flight in a very, very long time), and I was surprised to see that a lot of my visual flight skills had really degraded, namely pilotage and just keeping my head out of the panel!!

I want to get up and give myself a good refresher on VFR skills and techniques so that I'm a little more comfortable flying around without ATC. Any suggestions on good exercises I could run myself through? I was thinking about just running myself through the private pilot PTS.

Thanks!

-Ryan, KSBP

That would certainly be good review. The skills I see most often see needing work when I do instrument training are basic aircraft handling (like steep turns) and landings, especially spot landings. Another area that is often weak is crosswind landings. Lastly, when doing flight reviews, I often see weak basic pilotage navigation skills -- being able to navigate from Point A to Point B with nothing but a sectional and mag compass.

If its just VFR navigating things you're afraid of, Perhaps go to a wide open, free of complex airspace/traffic area, and try to find landmarks on the sectional chart. Highway intersections, towers, river curves, whatever. When you find one, try to fly to another landmark found on the sectional using approximated courses and times, and see how close you are. If you get lost, you should be able to find your way back with your backup instrument stuff.

If its just VFR navigating things you're afraid of, Perhaps go to a wide open, free of complex airspace/traffic area, and try to find landmarks on the sectional chart. Highway intersections, towers, river curves, whatever. When you find one, try to fly to another landmark found on the sectional using approximated courses and times, and see how close you are. If you get lost, you should be able to find your way back with your backup instrument stuff.

This is fun and no GPS allowed until you get "lost".

The commercial rating is worth the effort, just for the flying skills improvement but AFaIK it will have virtually no effect on insurance premiums.
I rent, so can't speak to insurance. I was thinking more about the looking outside in a hurry.

Back