Vfr flight following / in flight wx brief

Ben2k9

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben2k9
Question: I’m using vfr flight following and I want an in flight wx briefing. Do I just switch over to 122.2 or how does that work? I might miss a freq change or traffic alert while talking to wx

Just request with ATC that you want to contact FSS and will be off freq for a few minutes.

“Approach, Skyhawk 345 request frequency change to flight service for weather brief”

Usual response:

“Frequency change approved, report when back on this frequency”

Never leave frequency unannounced.

I have asked the controller for an update at the destination,always say if you have time. Has worked several times. I also rely on ForeFlight and stratus.

Just make sure you say, "....aaaaaaaaaand, N1285Z is back with you again," upon your return to FF frequency. Otherwise, how would they know? ;)

EF2A8D55-4D50-42DD-BAB8-93D20BB163DF.jpeg 356FC833-1A3C-4577-8FAE-96726C82D66E.jpeg
Just request with ATC that you want to contact FSS and will be off freq for a few minutes.
Awesome...that worked. Except I could not get a hold of FSS on any frequency

I did get some excellent pics along the way. Which plane is mine?

Nope...do tell! plane not equipped with VOR, in case that matters

Really, you don't know this? Are you a student, Private?

You transmit on 122.1 to FSS, say you're listening ABC VOR, and FSS transmits on the ABC VOR frequency. Remember to turn the volume up on the VOR.

You transmit on 122.1 to FSS, say you're listening ABC VOR, and FSS transmits on the ABC VOR frequency. Remember to turn the volume up on the VOR.
Just got private on Monday. This technique never came up

I also don’t think my radio can tune to two stations at once...............

For what it’s worth, I have never done this and never had an opportunity as all the VORs in my area have the underlines that indicate they don’t work that way. The OP doesn’t have a VOR receiver apparently. It’s totally conceivable that someone would be able to pass the private pilot written and practical tests without needing to learn how to use that feature of a VOR.

So no comm/nav? Just GPS? No VOR head?
If his plane is the CT in the picture, there’s a good chance it has a single comm radio and a Garmin 696 or similar GPS. Many of them have Dynon glass cockpits but I doubt many, or any, are equipped with a full IFR stack. They’re great, fun little planes.

For what it’s worth, I have never done this and never had an opportunity as all the VORs in my area have the underlines that indicate they don’t work that way. The OP doesn’t have a VOR receiver apparently. It’s totally conceivable that someone would be able to pass the private pilot written and practical tests without needing to learn how to use that feature of a VOR.

Yes I realize that. Really a shame though as its a handy feature.

I also don’t think my radio can tune to two stations at once...............
Dad had a CTSW and its comm radio had a standby listen festure, where you tune in the standby frequency and can listen on it while keeping the primary frequency tuned in and active. Check if yours has that.

Yes I realize that. Really a shame though as its a handy feature.
True. I like knowing how it works. And I do listen to HIWAS on our non-voice VORs. But I think it’s easier for most people to just use one of the comm frequencies specified for FSS at the VOR station, and in my experience it’s rare to find one that doesn’t have at least one comm frequency specified.

68D3CECA-A977-47F8-B57A-DF6542DE1E3B.jpeg
If his plane is the CT in the picture, there’s a good chance it has a single comm radio and a Garmin 696 or similar GPS. Many of them have Dynon glass cockpits but I doubt many, or any, are equipped with a full IFR stack. They’re great, fun little planes.

These planes are VFR only

Dad had a CTSW and its comm radio had a standby listen festure, where you tune in the standby frequency and can listen on it while keeping the primary frequency tuned in and active. Check if yours has that.

I’ll check it out - thanks

I just realized I can listen to five different frequencies simultaneously in my airplane and that does not include any sort of handheld device.

Back