VFR Drivers - What 2-3 day forecast weather do you trust most?

Thanks will do for sure. I'll have my camera's up and if I have to practice my steep turn 180 it'll be available for the world to see. :)

It'll probably be fine...I'm just overly cautious at this point...and not afraid to admit it. Especially with precious cargo aboard.

It is okay to admit it. I mostly fly longer trips(200-700 nm) with the family aboard so I am always very slow and meticulous in my wx planning and aircraft preflight. Due to the sluggish economy, not as often as we would like. Some of my local flights are in windy wx to keep my skills up and we ALL go up for maneuvers every few months. The kids really enjoy it, the wife not so much. I train with the same load that we would have on trips...full gross 2700 lbs. I know I am no ace pilot and do not pretend to be, but try to do all I can to keep us safe. My wife helps me look for the next airport, knows where the "NRST" one is, knows our glide range, knows our height AGL and sets wx and ctaf freq in our com 2 just in case. On landing, she knows my minimum approach speed with full flaps is usually 70 KIAS. She has never had to remind me, but because she does stall practice with me, she knows what happens at 53 KIAS. She knows I can do it all by myself...sometimes she loves to nap with the -540 droning along. That is okay to. She is always awake for the descent and especially approaching the airport. If this is your wife's first trip then she may be a little nervous, so be patient. She may or may not want to learn any of it for awhile.

Wish we could join you guys. Keep your lights on, get FF, wake your feet up 10 miles out and again on long final.

Thanks RV10 - and great idea on the webcams. Need to find something for the KGTU area... My wife has taken a few trips with me (no kids with us on this trip) and I think she's getting better. I'll give her a few tasks on this trip since it's on the longish side (with headwinds it'll be at least 2.5 hours in the air). At the very minimum I want to start getting her acclimated to what all the instrumentation does, etc... just so she feels a bit more comfortable. She won't fly though - she hates even touching the yoke at this point. :eek:

Last edited:
And yes, if your IFR you don't really need to worry that much about what the weather is going to do - just file IFR and you're done.

Not true at all. While the instrument rating certainly makes your dispatch rate higher, it also makes the go/no-go decision significantly more complex in many cases.

Let's say there's a 1000-foot overcast at your destination airport, not forecast to change. VFR? Automatic no-go. IFR? It's a maybe.

Will there be ice in those clouds? How much? Where are the tops?

Will that line of scattered thunderstorms still be scattered enough for me to pass through an opening?

What approaches are available at the destination, and what are the chances the weather will stay above approach minimums? Where's a legal and usable alternate? How much fuel for both my planned and alternate legs?

With the instrument rating, it's a much more complex decision that must be based on more sources of information and balancing the risks based on weather predictions, equipment on board, available approaches, pilot proficiency, and other operational considerations... It's a heckuva lot more than "file and you're done."

However, that also makes it a good mental exercise, and one I quite enjoy.

Thanks RV10 - and great idea on the webcams. Need to find something for the KGTU area... My wife has taken a few trips with me (no kids with us on this trip) and I think she's getting better. I'll give her a few tasks on this trip since it's on the longish side (with headwinds it'll be at least 2.5 hours in the air). At the very minimum I want to start getting her acclimated to what all the instrumentation does, etc... just so she feels a bit more comfortable. She won't fly though - she hates even touching the yoke at this point. :eek:

Here is one in Round Rock...

http://m.weatherbug.com/TX/Georgetown-weather/local-weather/weather-cameras/RNDTX

Back