VFR departure procedures from Camarillo (KCMA)

Lon33

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Lon
I have a question about VFR departure procedures from Camarillo's (KCMA) Runway 26. I have flown into Camarillo many times, always from the east, and I've always departed to the east.

Now I'd like to depart to the west (from Runway 26). Oxnard (KOXR) is immediately west of Camarillo, and I'm not sure the plane I fly can climb above Oxnard's 2000 foot ceiling by the time I get there. (Even if it can, there's a lot of IFR training at Oxnard, and I wouldn't want to be right above its airspace without a controller knowing I'm there and what I'm doing.)

The Ground controller at Camarillo always asks for the pilot's direction of departure before turning the pilot over to Tower. If I request a straight out departure to the west, will Camarillo Ground arrange clearance through Oxnard's airspace for me?

If I request a straight out departure to the west, will Camarillo Ground arrange clearance through Oxnard's airspace for me?

No. He will approve frequency change early and tell you to contact OXR tower. Then you tell OXR that you just departed CMA and you're passing through.

When I departed CMA IFR, I got a vector heading 275 until 4000 feet, then direct FIM. It's a good bet something similar but much less restrictive would work VFR.

I believe there is a DZ on the north side of the field somewhere.

Just tell em you're going straight out and be ready with the OXR frequency if/when they hand you off. They do this all day long.

Back