VFR and Above the clouds

They don’t know where the clouds are though, other than base heights above airports with weather equipment, so they are limited in what they can do for you.
Reminds me of a VFR flight to Phoenix from the northwest when I happened to call Hawthorne Flight Watch (which has since been combined with the main FSS frequency), and they told me that the PHX area had a midlevel overcast that was unforecast and unusual for the area, and that there was a large clear area west of the Phoenix. So I altered course accordingly. Later, as I started to enter the metropolitan area, I overheard ATC working a VFR aircraft that was trapped on top, so I called and let them know about the clear area, which I had just descended through. The controller vectored the pilot in that direction, and he eventually saw the headlights on the Interstate. (It was night by this time.)

Rusty, low time pilot here, making a return to aviation. I am interested in getting some feedback regarding getting above a scattered layer as a VFR rated pilot. Even when I was current 18 years ago, I had a fear that I would get above that cloud layer and then end up having everything close up on me and I would be stuck up there. On my last major cross country, I was so concerned, I traveled 200nm at about 1500 agl to avoid getting on top of a scattered layer. That said, I am interested in hearing from instructors and seasoned pilots as to what guidance they give to students/fellow pilots as to when it is okay to get above the clouds as a VFR rated pilot.

Thanks - Scott
If I had a choice between scudrunning or getting above a layer that might close up on me, I'd watch TV.

It’s a tough one. I took off for an out and back and got above a scattered layer with clear skies enroute to my destination. Forecast was for improving conditions as any morning low stuff burned off. I came back to find overcast at 700’ starting just 6 miles from my home airport. I had turn back out, land 15 miles away and wait it out 2 1/2 hours until the deck lifted...I started my instrument rating the next week.

Some of my most enjoyable, smooth flying has been between layers. Always nice when you can see the ground occasionally through gaps in a nearly solid layer, just for reassurance that the soup isn't going all the way to the deck. I wouldn't attempt this if didn't have several airports reporting VFR conditions within my fuel range, with a 1-hour reserve.

IMG_4029 2.jpg

Back