VFR along Chicago Lakeshore

mattg

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
Hey Guys,

My Girlfriend and I are setting off on a weekend trip tonight. Our first "trip" since I got my PPL. We're heading south around Lake Michigan to head over to South Haven, MI. (then to Mackinac Island, Madeline Island, Surfside, Washington Island each day for the rest of the weekend)

I've heard of a "Chicago Lakeshore VFR Corridor" before but I can't find any information on it. Perhaps I'm mistaken. I'm concerned about navigating the Chicago airspace safely.

I'm posting because I know there was a change to the instrument approach into MDW a while ago that brought passenger jets closer to where people few VFR under the bravo along the lake shore. I'm looking for what would be recommended as the safest route / altitude as I pass the Chicago area.

Also, there is a TFR for the Cubs/Brewers game tonight (GO BREWERS!). Would it just be a better idea to head around the whole bravo to the west? I'd like to see downtown Chicago but I feel like going that far over the water to avoid the TFR (while staying under the bravo) isn't the safest decision in the world.

I'll try to be on flight following (ORD Approach has been very accommodating the last few times I've made burger runs to 06C), so could I just ask for clearance into the bravo to go above the TFR?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Stay low and clear and keep your eyes open and you'll be fine. Or just head north up through door county. Go high, for safety, and catch the UP as it reaches down straight towards door county. Since you are already north of the city it'll be slightly faster for you. Have done the trip many times from Just SW of Chicago and from here it takes the same amount of time to go through Wisconsin or Michigan. Usually end up going one way there and the other back because of weather.

We are staying in south haven the first night, It is south east of milwaukee

I came back here to say I think I answered my question.. I found the "Chicago FLY" chart which says at or below 2500 right along the lake shore from Waukegan to Gary.

Make sure you find an up to date version of this chart. This copy was from a "NOT FOR NAVIGATION" source and should not be used in lieu of an up to date copy of the "Chicago FLY" (flyway?) chart.

pYeKkri.jpg

Get flight following, stay within glide range of shore and don't get into any wake turbulence. It is a nice view. Have fun.

Good luck Matt. Let us know how it goes! I tried this several months ago with my wife at night but she got freaked out by all the heavy traffic going into ohare above and around us that I decided it was better to skip then make her uncomfortable. I've done the shoreline before during the daytime and it's beautiful. Where ya flying out of?

Good luck Matt. Let us know how it goes! I tried this several months ago with my wife at night but she got freaked out by all the heavy traffic going into ohare above and around us that I decided it was better to skip then make her uncomfortable. I've done the shoreline before during the daytime and it's beautiful. Where ya flying out of?

I'm out of Timmerman, MWC on the north side of Milwaukee. We're going to depart at 5:30 tonight, I can't tell if my girlfriend is more excited than I am at this point. :goofy:

ORD Approach? Never heard of them.

Try Chicago approach.

As for flying along the lake shore, just did it for umpteenth time on Sunday. nothing to it. Hang out at about 2500'MSL and you'll be fine. For the stadium TFR you will need to be a bot more offshore, but no big deal. Wrigley is about a mile from the shoreline, so stay 2 miles out and you're fine.

You can call Gary Tower at about Michigan City and they will give you advisories along the lakeshore after that hit up Midway, they will handle you to about North Ave. Beach. After that you can try Chi-App, but in a few minutes you'll need to talk to Waukegan Tower to get through their airspace anyways. HINT: Leave your landing or taxi light on to make yourself more visible.

ORD Approach? Never heard of them.

Try Chicago approach.

Doesn't bother us which one you use, we get who you would be calling. :)

You can call Gary Tower at about Michigan City and they will give you advisories along the lakeshore after that hit up Midway, they will handle you to about North Ave. Beach. After that you can try Chi-App, but in a few minutes you'll need to talk to Waukegan Tower to get through their airspace anyways. HINT: Leave your landing or taxi light on to make yourself more visible.

Or you can just call approach on 120.55 if north of ORD, or on 128.2/127.87 if south of ORD. We coordinate transitions thru D airspace when we have aircraft on flight following.

If worse comes to worse and you are approaching any of the D airspaces (UGN or GYY) just ask approach for approval to transition the D.

I'm out of Timmerman, MWC on the north side of Milwaukee. We're going to depart at 5:30 tonight, I can't tell if my girlfriend is more excited than I am at this point. :goofy:

How was the flight?

Nice route. On the way to osh we stop at gary for $5 fuel then head up lakeshore route vfr. Nice flight to do at 1,000 ft and keep your eyes out the window.

Back